Talk to me about TENS

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Talk to me about TENS

Postby Jaymlin » 23 Jun 2014, 19:34

I'm beginning to think about labour and whether I might find a TENS machine helpful.

With DD I was induced and quite quickly lost control mentally and I don't want that to happen again. Being induced or losing it!

I'm trying to be positive and hope that I go in labour naturally and if I do I'd like to be able to stay at home as long as possible with the use of a TENS but I have no experience of them.

Did anyone out there find it useful? Where did you get yours from? I'm thinking about buying one from Ebay but I'm not sure on brands etc.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Love being a mummy to the beautiful F (april 12) and especially love BLW.
Jaymlin

Re: Talk to me about TENS

Postby PicNic » 23 Jun 2014, 19:42

I used one with both labours. It was my only pain relief. With ds I was induced and using the tens machine gave me a feeling of control because I could concentrate on when I needed to press the boost button. DD was born at home (unplanned) and again I found it really helpful. Based on my experience I'd definitely recommend trying at least. I got a reconditioned one online, the same brand as the ones hired out by our hospital. I can't recommend the site though because, although I had no problems, all the reviews now talk about it being a VERY dodgy site!!
Very proud mummy of our adventurous little man 09/09 and our cheeky little lady 11/11
PicNic

Postby t&n's mummy » 23 Jun 2014, 19:46

I hired one from the local hospital for t and for n I borrowed the forum one, not sure who was loaning it out, but a request would soon tell you. I found it great, you put it on quite early and let it build up with the contractions, with both I took it off before getting into the pool and didn't end up needing anything else in terms of pain relief, although at one point dh did accidentally turn it right up, which gave me a bit of a shock! I think it's personal preference, either you like it or you don't and you prob won't know how good it was until you take it off.
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby issi » 23 Jun 2014, 19:49

t&n's mummy wrote:I hired one from the local hospital for t and for n I borrowed the forum one, not sure who was loaning it out, but a request would soon tell you. I found it great, you put it on quite early and let it build up with the contractions, with both I took it off before getting into the pool and didn't end up needing anything else in terms of pain relief, although at one point dh did accidentally turn it right up, which gave me a bit of a shock! I think it's personal preference, either you like it or you don't and you prob won't know how good it was until you take it off.

Not just personal preference but varies with each labour - I absolutely hated it with my first and nearly didn't try it with my second but I'm glad I did as it was fantastic and I didn't need anything else.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby qbm » 23 Jun 2014, 19:50

There's a forum TENS - I think Mamapup might still have it...
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby CherryPop » 23 Jun 2014, 19:50

I hired mine from Tesco pharmacy, I think it was about £25 and I collected it 3 weeks before my due date, and could return it up to 2 weeks after, but if you need longer if you go a long way over (which I did!) then you can extend it easily. Or just forget to extend it and they don't mention it when you finally return it ;).

It was a-ma-zing. I didn't use one with my first, had a back-to-back labour with him and the pain in my back was unbearable, so was keen to use it for that reason.

It only took me a little while to get the hang of it, and I liked having something else to focus on during the contractions - thinking about the levels, boosting it etc. I stayed at home for the first 18 or so hours (I have looooong labours) and even managed to sleep for a few hours with it on, and to boost it during contractions in my sleep.

I only took it off when I got to the maximum level, couldn't increase any more and the pain of the contractions was unbearably intense, and I gave in and asked for an epidural. The anaesthetist took it off for me, so I had it on right up until that point. I don't know how I would have coped without it, it was brilliant. I'd definitely recommend!
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby NorthernKitten » 23 Jun 2014, 19:58

I hired one online to arrive 3 weeks before due date... Unfortunately dd decided she wasn't waiting and broke waters - cue mother stalking postie up the street and bringing it to hospital about 6 hours into induction! Worked a treat for me (not least the comedy value of DH trying it out and not realising it was on full... Mwah ha ha) for a few hours, but there came a point where it was on full and no longer helping, when I agreed to the epidural (read - begged).

Totally hiring one again for this baby!
Mummy to a munchkin (Dec 12) and a mini munchkin (due Jan 15) and part-time teacher of teenaged terrors.
NorthernKitten

Postby robyn » 23 Jun 2014, 20:19

have had a tens every time, first and second times it was brill, g was back to back and big, that time it was really good, and my only pain relief-one puff of g&a made me feel horrible. It got me to about 6-7cm with Ida and then just didn't help, it annoyed me, which really scared me as it was the only thing I knew worked. that time though I LOVED g&a, so got high on that instead!
So ever labour is different, but I wouldn't choose to go into labour without one. get the forum tens, I think mamapup still has it.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Jaymlin » 23 Jun 2014, 20:56

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'll definitely see if I can borrow one just to get the look and feel of one before commiting to buying and I'll try and contact mamapup too.

Thanks ladies.
Jaymlin

Postby mamapup » 23 Jun 2014, 21:01

Yup, I have it. I periodically post asking if anyone wants it but no one has yet. Pm me y oy r details and I'll send it on.

Fwiw, I didn't use it. Early contractions were I interesting rather than painful and then it was too late!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby bigcatmaniac » 23 Jun 2014, 21:48

I was induced for the second time and used a TENS second time round. The low level buzz helped but the boost during contractions made me feel awful - I had bad sickness with both inductions. The boost made me feel sicker. In the end I took it off a as it didn't help me all that much. I used an app to monitor the contractions on my phone more as a diversion, clicking on and off at the start and end of a contractions to monitor length and frequency. - I found this to be a much better diversion than the TENS.

I have lent my TENS out to a friend, but happy to let you try it when she gives it back - she is due next week.

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby Nix » 23 Jun 2014, 22:00

I also lost control mentally in the first labour and like you, I was determined to try anything second time to avoid the drugs I ended up with first time. My second labour was longer but I felt much more in control. My tens was from boots and hired it for a few weeks before and after birth. I found it really useful to have something to focus on during the pains. I also used breathing, birthing ball, relaxation and pressure points (comb) to help. I used the tens during my induction third time around too and got by without any other pain relief, even DH wasn't around to offer pressure or support. I think you can do it!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby CherryPop » 23 Jun 2014, 22:21

Re: getting the feel of it beforehand, you're not supposed to use it when you're not in labour. I really didn't like the feel of it when I first put it on, but when I boosted it during a contraction I realised what all the fuss was about ;). It cancels out the pain, so if you're not in pain in the first place, it just feels weird. And kind of painful :/. So if you were to try it first when you weren't in labour, you might hate it. Just a head's up ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Jaymlin » 24 Jun 2014, 20:24

Thanks for the heads up CherryPop! If I can at least get my hands on one and get the feel for it, it might help me in my quest for not losing it. I'm so worried about having a labour like my first. Bloody labour, why can't the baby be delivered by the stalk.....they use to be...right???
Jaymlin

Postby qbm » 24 Jun 2014, 20:28

CherryPop wrote:Re: getting the feel of it beforehand, you're not supposed to use it when you're not in labour. I really didn't like the feel of it when I first put it on, but when I boosted it during a contraction I realised what all the fuss was about ;). It cancels out the pain, so if you're not in pain in the first place, it just feels weird. And kind of painful :/. So if you were to try it first when you weren't in labour, you might hate it. Just a head's up ;)

Very much this!!! :)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Next

Return to Pregnancy