Talk to me about being induced

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Talk to me about being induced

Postby Kitcameron » 22 May 2014, 12:58

Methods, experiences anything really.

Have been for 38 week appointment with midwife today and after a really rough night last night with spd and has said that she can get me a referral to be induced any time from now if the pain gets too bad.

In some ways this is very tempting as the pain is bad and last night was agony, not quite as bad today but still. Also, I'm so ready to be done with being pregnant and if I knew when I was going in to be induced it'd make sorting childcare for Little G easier.

On the other hand, I know nothing about being induced apart from I don't think I've ever heard a good story about it and I feel like I want to wait until Baby D is ready to come out of her own free will if you know what I mean.

What advice, stories or other have you guys got to share with me to help me make a decision?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Talk to me about being induced

Postby felizefun » 22 May 2014, 13:44

I was induced. Not by choice, but because I had gestational diabetes. It was done in stages for me.
1 - sweep (which had no effect at all)
2 - waters broken on day of induction (about 3 days after the sweep). Again, had very little effect. Contractions were very irregular and there was not enough progress.
3 - put on the drip with the minimum amount of drug (sorry, I forget the name)
4 - drug was increased gradually until the maximum amount reached

My experience of being induced was not that bad. It was awfully painful, and I've heard people say that induced labour is more painful than natural labour, but I had nothing to compare it against. :) However, I got through it with just gas and air, and pethidine right at the end, which I wish I hadn't because it had no effect on the pain and it made DD really drowsy and reluctant to breastfeed the first 24 hours.

Given the choice, I would have definitely gone for natural labour not because the pain was so unbearable but because I'd rather not get loads of drugs into my body if it can be helped.

Hope my story helps you. Good luck with whichever option you choose!
felizefun

Postby Treeb » 22 May 2014, 14:37

I was induced at 40 + 5 because L was showing some distress. They started me friday night with a thing they put inside that was supposed to help prime things and help me open up as I wasn't dilated at all. (Sorry, memories are really fuzzy as to what things are called and technical terms and such.)

Sat morning nothing had happened from that, so they took it out and started the oxytocin drip. They started slow, then ramped it up but as the contractions got stronger L was showing more distress so they backed off of it again. They kept me on a lower dose throughout saturday and contractions continued but not actual labor. In the evening they stopped the drip so I could eat dinner and rest for a few hours.

They started the drip again at midnight saturday and this time it actually took effect and L was born around 6 am sunday. The labor was very strong and intense, but I did it with no pain medication. Can't compare it to un-induced labor as he was my only baby.

So, one thing to keep in mind is that even if you decide to be induced it may not actually work if your body isn't ready. After L was born one of the nurses commented on how well it went once it got started, and said that she thought I would have had him that day whether I was induced or not because my body just seemed so ready at that point.

Personally, I would avoid being induced again if possible because like felizefun I like to avoid unnecessary drugs going into my body. However, the experience wasn't horrible and if medically necessary I would do it again. Our experiences and pregnancies are very different though, and you are the only one feeling the pain you are in, so ultimately it is your decision of how much pain you can handle and how badly you want to be done with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kitcameron » 22 May 2014, 14:50

Thanks both of you, just typed out a long reply to FF before you posted Treeb and for some reason it didn't post, grrr.

In a nutshell I think I want to wait. The two most important things to me are:
- that she comes when she's ready not when I cave in to the pain
- that it's as drug free as possible

With G I managed on gas and air, although not actually by choice. This time I'm hoping for just gas and air and a water birth, although I am a complete wuss when it comes to pain so may give in and take everything going on the day lol. I think we have some of those Cura Heat pads, do you think they'd help if I couldn't have a water birth or before getting in the water, just not in the water is what I'm getting at.

Thanks for your experiences. It has definitely helped me make a decision.
Kitcameron

Postby Seriously_Nutty » 22 May 2014, 15:04

I was induced at 35wks. Took an hour and 15mins from contractions starting to baby. I needed the drip to get the contractions going. It's not what I would have chosen but the actual process of the induction was v quick and easy compared to what I expected and I didn't have a choice at the time....
“You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.” - Franklin P. Jones
Seriously_Nutty

Postby Kitcameron » 22 May 2014, 15:15

I suppose at the end of the day it's a means to an ends isn't it. Some people will have a good experience of it, some will not, some will have what other people would consider a good experience but regret having to have it themselves, if that makes sense. It's such a personal choice and every body and every baby respond differently so who knows how it would actually go unless I go through with it. I'll bear it in mind as an option if the spd gets too bad but try to avoid if possible.
Kitcameron

Postby Nix » 22 May 2014, 16:10

I was induced with just a pessary at 42 weeks. It was very natural, apart from the pessary I didn't have any drips, monitors etc. I found the actual labour progressed well once underway but it was 24 hours of waiting for contractions to start. I wouldn't have chosen to be induced as I found it very isolating and my DH wasn't allowed to be there from 8pm-10am. I laboured alone for 5 hours before they let DH come up and then within 5 minutes baby was born so I did it all without support really. My SPD went almost immediately but still lingers now. I probably need some further physio tbh but I am hoping it goes on it's own by the time Pippa is two.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Kitcameron » 22 May 2014, 16:22

W'll, I've spoken to dh and his opinion is. Fy much as I suspected. Very practically minded. He has agreed to go with whatever I want though but now I'm all confused again.

His arguments for are:
- he doesn't like seeing me in pain and to be fair he has had to see me in pain since about week 16.
- it would make childcare easier to organise cos we'd just ask parents to come down and stop over until D is born
- if D came during half term he'd be able to spend longer at home with her than if she's born during term time as he's only just started his job so no rights to paternity leave or anything, although school have said he can have some time off, just not very specific so he doesn't want to push his luck or anything. Also, he wants to be at home to look after me, D and G for the first few days, not just because he wants to enjoy lots of newborn snuggles.

Everything he's said is very reasonable and practical. I dunno, I'm all confused again now. I can't keep saying it'll be more painful cos it might not be, it might not be long winded, everything might go really smoothly and D could be here by Monday and the spd would hopefully disappear quickly and. Y the time dh goes back to work we'll be settled and I'll be feeling better than straight after birth etc. practically, it does make a lot of sense, and I do want her here ASAP.

Argh. Gonna phone parents and discuss with them in regards practicalities of them stopping over etc and hopefully speak to a rl friend tomorrow about it.
Kitcameron

Postby SharkiesMum » 22 May 2014, 16:56

(((KC)))
I have no idea what I'd do in your shoes, but i know that I've managed with severe SPD for 6 weeks (not quite as bad before that, but from 25 weeks) and you would think 1 more day, or a few more days would make no difference but for me at this very minute I can't take it anymore. So I understand why you might want to go for induction, not just your DHs practical reasons.

I think it's a hard decision and you need to make the decision yourself, as if it doesn't go to plan (either way, waiting for labour naturally or induction) you need to be happy with your decision.

Have some more ((())) I really know how you feel.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Kanga » 22 May 2014, 17:10

Sounds a hard decision kc. I've never suffered with SPD so can't imagine how you feel but I'm very practical minded and what your dh says about half term etc would appeal to me. I don't cope well with spontaneity so some degree of planning a birth would be nice! But equally I can totally understand why you'd want to give baby d the best chance of making a natural appearance.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 22 May 2014, 17:52

That's the hard part, I totally understand and agree with dhs reasons. I want rid of the pain, it would be good to be able to plan to some extent and I guess having parents here would make things far easier than suddenly going into labour and having to call them from an hour and a half away, and I do want dh to be able to spend as much time with D was possible before going back to work. That's why I'm so confused. Hopefully talking it through with someone less attached to the situation will help.

Whilst of with G I always thought that having such an easy pg I'd have a difficult birth, but that wasn't the case. Seems like I had such an easy time with G full stop that now I'm having an equally ha time with D. Really hope this stops after birth as G was and is really easy going. Think I'm going to have a nightmare child this time round lol.

Will keep you updated.
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 22 May 2014, 18:33

I had an induced labour for the first birth and a spontaneous for the second and they were about the same. Same length (4hr), same amount of agony, same result at the end! I was a little happier with my second birth because I felt more in control, but it was also my second birth so I think I would've been more confident/assertive either way. However, I was 40+6 for the induced birth, I'd be wary of inducing before 40 weeks because I would be afraid of it leading to more interventions. But it is a very personal choice, hope you figure out soon what works best for your family.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby bigcatmaniac » 23 May 2014, 11:32

Hiya KC - I've now had two induced labours - first time cos I was 40+13 and nothing had happened naturally. I had 3 sweeps too first before the Propess pessary. They assess how ripe your cervix is first and choose the induction method suitable. The pessary and the gels though both contain prostaglandins though. Both times my cervix was completely closed with no thinning or opening started naturally. So the Propess was recommended. They kept saying it'll be in for 24 hours, nothing will happen for ages, and recommended DH go home rather than stay the night on an uncomfortable chair. However contractions started very quickly and strongly. I was on my own in a side room, with no call button, feeling increasingly sick and awful, thinking 'someone will come I soon'. But no one did - all night. I just put up with it, cos I thought I could have days of this yet. After 8-9 hours I had really bad diarrhoea and crawled out to the midwives desk down the corridor. I asked for someone to come in - it took another 45 mins before a midwife came. She put the Propess back in (I had pulled it out in the loo) and put me on a fetal monitor. Then left. DH arrived to me puking up constantly (after smelling the breakfasts begging served). An hour later a new midwife came in on her new ward rounds. Took one look at the print out from the monitor, demanding to know 'how long I'd been like this?' And running off to speak to the consultant. She wasn't very impressed when I replied 'all night'. Things happened very quickly after that. She examined me and I was only 3cms but because of the fetal distress I was whipped up to theatre for an emergency c section.

So when I had to be induced again 2 weeks ago I was totally against the Propess again. But my waters had gone, no contractions started on their own etc. Because my cervix wasn't doing anything the Propess was recommended again. I was 40+1 at this stage. As before contractions started straight away, sickness kicked in immediately too. BUT this time I had DH with me, midwives were monitoring me as well as baby, I felt I had more control (I was using an app to track frequency and length of contractions which was a good distraction too) and it made a huge difference. Once contractions were coming more regularly I was examined and although I was only 2 cms they took the Propess out at the contractions continued on their own. And the sickness passed. At one point I was getting very panicky about the same end result from the induction, as in my head I linked the induction directly to the strong contractions and ultimately the fetal distress first time round. But the midwives were brilliant at calming me and even the monitoring was reassuring to hear / see that the baby was coping fine.

So 2 very different experiences although everyone admitted afterwards that I must just be very sensitive to the prostaglandins and that such a reaction isn't the norm. I'd be less scared if I ever needed to have it again but I'd still prefer to labour entirely naturally if I could. That being said, I've never had SPD. It did mean that we had time to call PIL down from Manchester to look after LO in plenty time, so I wasn't stressing about that. And LO had a ball with them really (although bedtimes were a bit interesting!)

Good luck for your decision - sorry this has turned into war and peace. Xx
So 2 very different experiences although everyone admitted afterwards that I must just be very sensitive to the prostaglandins and that such a reaction isn't the norm. I'd be less scared if I ever needed to have it again but I'd still prefer to labour entirely naturally if I could. That being said, I've never had SPD. It did mean that we had time to call PIL down from Manchester to look after LO in plenty time, so I wasn't stressing about that. And LO had a ball with them really (although bedtimes were a bit interesting!)

Good luck for your decision - sorry this has turned into war and peace. Xx
bigcatmaniac

Postby Kitcameron » 23 May 2014, 12:31

Thanks StJ and BCM.

Spoke to my mum and Grandma last night. Grandma seemed all for the idea saying "well, you're ready for her now and it'll get rid of the spd so why wait" (also, as dh pointed out, if I go into labour before Monday she gets a lift down with my parents when they come to babysit lol. She's been staying with my parents since my grandads funeral and I'm not sure how she's feeling about going home on Monday :(

Mum was more of the opinion that "you need to do what's best for you and dh, although please wait til after Monday if you decide to be induced". Which is probably true but not very helpful, lol.
Kitcameron

Return to Pregnancy