What to pack for hospital?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

What to pack for hospital?

Postby Kitcameron » 16 May 2014, 12:40

Ok, I remember this being the bane of my life last time round so what are people's thoughts on what I need to pack. I know I could go get a list online (and I'll probably consult one whilst I wait for the wise sages' wisdom) but you lot are far more clued up and tuned into reality lol.

So far I have:
- three (yes three) sleepsuits. G went through at least that many in the 16 hours she was in hospital cos she kept throwing up mucus.
- 2 vests,mine premie, one newborn as newborn ones drowned G at birth (do I really need a 0-3 month in case I have a whopper?)
- maternity pads
- breast pads
- cotton wool pads
- newborn nappies
- clean shirt por moi.

Ok, so I've not got very far yet lol. I know the are lots of other obvious things, like more clothes for me, food and drink etc etc etc but what were your godsends in hospital either for during labour or after birth?
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: What to pack for hospital?

Postby SharkiesMum » 16 May 2014, 13:11

I've been packing mine the last couple of days, but I'll be in for a few days so have 6 sleep suits and vests for baby, scratch mitts (DS scratched his face badly in the first hour after he was born!).

I also have lansinoh and a tiny bit of makeup (just mascara and lip gloss) in case I feel like looking nicer in photos. Phone charger, camera. That's all I can think of at the moment!
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby issi » 16 May 2014, 13:15

Something comfy to sleep in plus socks and slippers for walking around the ward.
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby FestiveTidings » 16 May 2014, 13:32

Yes to the 0-3! I wasn't expecting a whopper as R had fitted into Newborn but The Wee One went straight into 0-3 and DH was dispatched to get more.

I couldn't do without a water bottle with a spout for drinking when i was feeding lying down.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Lily » 16 May 2014, 13:52

My must-haves were:

- lightweight cotton dressing gown

- baby wipes (yes, I know you're meant to use cotton wool, but there was nowhere within reasonable reach to fill up a bowl of water and I was stuck on a rehydration drip, so wandering too far was to be avoided at all costs) - I like Water Wipes for newborns

- drinking straws, so you can sip even when you're in a weird labouring position
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kitcameron » 16 May 2014, 14:42

Thanks everyone, scratch mitts was definitely something I'd forgotten, and a roll of cellotape to keep them on, I kid you not. Not actually going to cellotape to wrists, just put it on the mitts around the wrists to tighten it up just enough so they stay on. Recommended to a friend of mine by a neonatal nurse. Although, I've just checked sleepsuits and they have hurt in scratch mitts so maybe not lol.

I'd really like a water birth if possible, so is there anything else people would recommend to do with that?
Kitcameron

Postby emzit » 16 May 2014, 16:49

I had a water birth but didn't have anything special apart from my bikini top to wear in the bath.

We also packed jumpers and a blanket for taking the baby home. Don't forget your maternity notes either! Left mine at home, had to get my mum to bring them in. Luckily we only live 3 mins from the hospital. Also ear plugs. I was made to satay overnight and on a ward with a snorer. Although having said that, I didn't use them as I wanted to hear the snuffler.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Brigitte » 16 May 2014, 17:51

I only pack one going-home outfit for myself and the baby (okay, 2 sizes for the baby), and a cheap but comfy sun dress/nightgown to birth in. As it turns out, I have birthed naked both times, and then have worn the hospital gown for the few hours afterwards while the baby stays naked and cuddling with me or wrapped in a blanket (provided by the hospital). I've always gone home quite promptly afterwards. If something goes awry and I need to stay in longer, I figure I can always send my husband home to fetch anything else.

I don't know about where you live, but all the supplies are provided by our hospital. Diapers, wipes, pads, even disposable underwear. Also, our partners can stay in overnight with us. There's a simple couch/bed for them, but they must bring their own pillow and sleeping bag.

Otherwise:
- cheap slippers (don't want to bring those home, who knows what's on hospital floors!)
- Lanisoh
- snacks and juice boxes (don't want your partner off hunting a vending machine at critical moments!)
- music, oils, or whatever your comfort items are for the birth
- personal toiletries (toothbrush, my own shampoo, conditioner and soap because I'm picky about that, etc.)
- a change of clothing for partner (in case of fluids, or a long overnight stay)

We also brought our short list of names for the baby, a list of phone numbers to spread the news (along with all the time changes written down for long distance family members and who did/didn't want to get a phone call in the middle of the night), and a few copies of our birth plan (which we have never actually given to anyone).
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Kitcameron » 16 May 2014, 18:24

I'm starting to think I should write a birth plan. Last time I wrote it on a spots it note then forgot it and that was fine, I could tell midwife what I wanted and dh knew everything I wanted so could tell midwife if I was out of it,I never got that far gone though, but there were no complications either and it was all fairly straight forward first time round.

Dh won't be able to stop over so if he does get covered in meh then he'll have to cope lol, or he'll have to pack a bag of his own, it's up to him. They provide tea and toast after the birth, not sure if they'd provide it before birth but if I was starving I'm sure they'd rustle me up something. Doesn't seem like very good care if they let me go hungry just because it's not hospital policy to make tea and toast before the birth lol. I am taking some bottles of juice and some food too though. They don't provide nappies etc though, which surprised me last time. They provided the first one, but then we forgot to take the changing bag out of the car and dh went home with it so I had to ask a midwife on maternity ward for one and some cotton wool and she was really shirky with me. This time they are in the suitcase with all my stuff lol.
Kitcameron

Postby jennifer91 » 19 Jun 2014, 12:30

I have my hospital bag packed and all. I have a suitcase!! I have the following:

2 nighties
slippers
5 pairs pants
maternity pads
breast pads
2 towels
toiletries (soap,sponge,shampoo,toothbrush,toothpaste,deodorant,
facecloth,perfume)
(I will put in bras, camera, change for payphone, magazines etc closer to the time)

3 babygros
3 vests
pack of bibs
pack of nappies
going home outfit for baby
blanket

My oh asked how long I thought I was staying for coz this stuff takes a medium sized suitcase but I'd rather go with some extra bits than have to ask my mum or oh to bring things in.

Closer to the time I will put in an outfit to wear home. Maternitiy trackkie bottoms and a t-shirt etc.

I hope this helps xx
jennifer91

Postby Kitcameron » 20 Jun 2014, 07:41

Too late I'm afraid now Jennifer lol, dd2 came on the 1st June.

After last time, I decided to only pack enough for one nights stay as I didn't want to be in any longer and I decided if I was then dh could bring me more stuff. I'd probably have ended up wearing a random collection of stuff but never mind, actually he's pretty good at dressing dd1 so maybe I'd have been ok lol.
Kitcameron

Return to Pregnancy