Bringing on labour when overdue

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Bringing on labour when overdue

Postby Mummyto1 » 27 Apr 2014, 17:23

My sister is a week overdue her first baby, which is already over what I was with all mine so I feel less able to help her with those 'going to go crazy' feelings. She wants to feel she is doing something to encourage labour (despite knowing baby will only come when it's ready!)

I have advised walking, ball bouncing, sex etc. anything else? Someone else suggested castor oil which I definitely advised against... Can she start smelling clary sage or is that only advised once labour has begun?
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Re: Bringing on labour when overdue

Postby t&n's mummy » 27 Apr 2014, 17:35

Curry, fresh pineapple, reflexology was particularly effective with n, relaxation is def a good thing but it is hard, not sure how good my advice is though as mine were +13 and +8
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby StJuniper » 27 Apr 2014, 17:44

With both boys I was having lots of BH and kept thinking it was coming but nothing was happening, but with P labour had to be induced while with R I went in to labour directly after a half-hour nursing session followed immediately by DTD. I would always get strong BH after both those activities but I think the oxytocin jolt from both in a row when I was 40+3ish with 2cm of dilation was enough to get things moving for me.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby RJandA » 27 Apr 2014, 18:18

Squatting is supposed to put pressure on the cervix.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby RJandA » 27 Apr 2014, 18:22

Also I'm convinced lots of bending over and squatting to put away the washing up broke my waters, although not sure it was a good thing because I then ended up needing hormone drip to get contractions going. Sample size of 1 though so don't read too much into it.

Has she had a sweep? I think they're supposed to be by far the most effective thing you can do.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby Mummyto1 » 27 Apr 2014, 18:38

Thanks all. Yes she's had a sweep and things were apparently 'favourable' and it wasn't uncomfortable in any way. She may have another this week. Will pass on these tips. I think it is more about focusing on doing something than believing anything will work magically.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 27 Apr 2014, 18:41

A sweep. Reflexology or acupuncture. Caulophyllum 200c homeopathic remedy. DTD.

The first one worked on TheWriggler. The rest all within the same afternoon worked on TheBean. They were +10 and +13 respectively.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Treeb » 27 Apr 2014, 18:47

Nothing worked for us, L was induced and born at 40 + 7.
Things I tried or remember hearing about include walking, dtd, squatting and just moving around as much as possible, pineapple. I think I remember something about red raspberry leaf tea. Getting down and scrubbing the floor.

Some women I know have had good results with both reflexology and acupuncture, but I didn't try either.
Mama to big boy L born Sept. 2012, and baby girl A born June 2015.

http://treemama.wordpress.com/
Treeb

Postby Kanga » 27 Apr 2014, 18:52

With dd I had 2 sweeps (she was 11 days late) and ds we dtd and I had a contraction in the middle of the night & labour started next morning (he was 6 days late).
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 27 Apr 2014, 19:41

I tried curry, sex (never again - to get a baby moving!!!), walking, 5 sweeps, birthing ball bouncing, raspberry leaf tea etc etc. I decided at 40+9 I was so fed up with it all failing that I would just let things happen and not get involved (and therefore pissed off!!)

Munchie did keep me waiting until 42+6 - the day before induction so that perhaps is the other option. Book something you absolutely 100%, with every fibre of your body NOT want, and then baby will rock up in the nick of time!!!

I think babies just come when they want to and all the jiggery pokery isn't going to make any difference - it's just coincidence!!! And (if you're anything like me, you just get more fed up with things not working!) I have no wish to rain on anyones parade, it's just what I have come to believe after 2 very overdue babies!!! (pickle was 42 weeks!)
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby bigcatmaniac » 27 Apr 2014, 19:50

I agree with Happyfeet. I was 40 + 13 and was induced after 3 sweeps, lots of sex (not easy by that stage), pineapple, curry, raspberry leaf tea, walking, driving over bumpy roads, scrubbing skirting boards on my hands and knees, sitting on gym ball whenever possible. However I absolutely did not want the induction (and only realised afterwards I could have said no to it). My body did not kick in in the nick of time. Nothing happened spontaneously. Baby was only 7lbs, born by emergency section at 40 + 14, bp fine, and plenty of fluids left. Apart from being truly fed up and huge by then, I could easily have gone another week before nature kicked in.

Things hopefully will go to plan this time for a VBAC with a spontaneous labour. Am currently 38+ 1 so c'mon baby!

Good luck to her. I know what she's going through and the constant texts asking if anything has happened yet will drive her doolally.

Bigcat x
bigcatmaniac

Postby Marrow » 27 Apr 2014, 21:04

I had my second sweep at +11, then walked home (takes about 30 mins at normal speed) with intermittent ctx, and they got more and more from there on in.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby StJuniper » 27 Apr 2014, 22:48

I think it may be more individual than that. Some women get induced and their body isn't ready and they don't progress and have long drawn-out labours and such, but when I was induced, it was more like a jumpstart-- I was already dilating, having tons of BH, and my body took off and I have birth within four hours. With R it was very similar: I was dilating and having tons of BH, I got a jump of oxytocin (only this time not from a hospital), and my body took off and I gave birth within 4 hours. It might be coincidence, obviously this is just anecdotal. But it makes sense to me with how my body seems to operate.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby jvnt » 27 Apr 2014, 22:57

Agree with happy feet and bcm - tried everything including stuff I actually paid for. Like acupuncture. Nothing worked and gave up. They came eventually. Apart from possibly sweeps I don't think any of it works it's just going to happen anyway.

That being said this pregnancy I will be trying out the Big Glass of Wine theory sometime after 40 weeks - theory being that you're very relaxed and happy which is more conducive to labour than all tense and overdue. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Brigitte » 28 Apr 2014, 05:47

My kids were born at +8 and +13 days past 40 weeks. I tried the usual array of options as presented here, but I'll just say the things that I actually think made a difference for me:

With kid #1, a good long walk (2 hours) definitely helped settle her head right down on the cervix, and it felt like I was sitting on her head for the rest of the day! Labour began in the middle of the night.

With kid #2, I'm guessing it was probably the 3 sweeps I had had over the course of that final week. Either that or she just plain decided on her own that it was (FINALLY) time to come on out. Thank goodness, because I was going to drink castor oil the next day if she didn't make her appearance!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Next

Return to Pregnancy