Virtual Antenatal Class!

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Virtual Antenatal Class!

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Mar 2014, 14:11

Well it looks like I won't be getting my NHS antenatal class. I had to miss the first one due to a consultant appt last week and midwife team have just called to advise that the class has been postponed until 25th March. I'll be 40+1!

So ladies, I'm calling on the forum wisdom. Can you provide me with some forum classes? I know I've been through it before, but that was 3 yrs ago. I feel I've forgotten more than I remember!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Virtual Antenatal Class!

Postby Nix » 11 Mar 2014, 14:19

Mine were over five years ago but I think the key things I remember are:

-breathing helps labour pains.
-do your pelvic floors!
-breastfeeding is supply and demand. And we were given a diagram of the latch.
-how to bath a baby. (Just dunked them in with me usually but it was good to see it demonstrated with a brand new gorgeous new born baby!)
-dads have fears/worries too.
-it's ok to go and get fish and chips if your baby won't stop crying and you need to get out and haven't had chance to eat yet. Baby's cry. It's normal.
-their tummies are the size of a walnut hence the feeding little and often.

Dare I say you may be able to attend at 40+1? You won't be very overdue and it will give you something to do if you are still waiting? I didn't bother with antenatal classes 2nd or 3rd time though.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby FestiveTidings » 11 Mar 2014, 16:49

I might be able to attend at 40+1 Nix but that would be the only class (there are 4 in total) as my backup plan has me in pre-assessment for a planned section for the next class!

But that's great Nix, thank you. One thing I never really got covered in any class I've been to is breathing in labour. Is there a special technique you have to use? I'm determined to do VBAC this time round so every hint, tip or technique would be helpful!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby robyn » 11 Mar 2014, 17:11

Just do what you need to, let instinct take over. Listen to the midwife when it comes to the end, their guidance on pushing/panting can really help.
Just breath deeply and calmly. Calm breathing, being calm in general, helps chase away adrenalin which inhibits labour. The breathing helps fool your body into thinking your calm even if you're not!
Remember each contraction is one closer to baby. The uterus muscle is unique in that it doesn't contract and then relax, it contracts and then stays there, then contracts some more. You only have to do each contraction once.
Keep moving, unless you find a position that works and you want to stay there, then stay still.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby StJuniper » 11 Mar 2014, 18:12

Knowing what happens at a birth was the best part of prenatal classes for me, as not knowing exactly what's going on in a medical context really unnerves me. The breathing exercises just made me giggle, and when the time came I couldn't be doing with any relaxation techniques or whatever. During P's birth I told DH between contractions, "They told me to focus on relaxing the parts of my body I'm tensing up, but I'm tensing up EVERYTHING!" During R's birth I went with the much more succinct "Everything I ever learned about birth is a lie."

I found reading homebirth stories much better than prenatal classes for helping me feel calm and equipped.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Brigitte » 12 Mar 2014, 06:41

Last edited by Brigitte on 12 Mar 2014, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Brigitte » 12 Mar 2014, 06:42

I forgot to mention: My favourite source for birth stories is http://birthwithoutfearblog.com, and also Ina May Gaskin's guide to childbirth.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby StJuniper » 12 Mar 2014, 08:01

Didn't think about that, but now that Brigette mentions it, the post-birth was actually my biggest change from P's birth to R's. With R I specified immediate skin-to-skin, delayed clamping, and delay of any unnecessary procedures til we'd breastfed. I can't vouch for whether that was the reason I bonded with R more quickly than P, but I definitely bonded faster... Plus at made all the hustle and stitching and everything sort of fade into the background, having my baby right there to focus on.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby mamapup » 12 Mar 2014, 08:22

I found midwives really good at telling me how to breath when and what position would help etc.main thing I focused on for myself was relaxing my jaw. Sure I shall come up with more gems for you soon. X
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby pimento » 12 Mar 2014, 08:41

There are lots of good homebirth stories here too :) http://homebirthersandhopefuls.com/birth-stories/
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Return to Pregnancy