Caffeine

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Caffeine

Postby Kanga » 26 Feb 2014, 11:29

How much do you limit caffeine? Or do you at all? I have cut down cups of tea as I usually drink loads, but read one thing that was on about caffeine in chocolate and hot chocolate. Surely chocolate is an integral part of pregnancy?!

As with lots of things, my mum says she'd rank loads of coffee when expecting us & we're fine. I don't remember the recommendation before and I kept craving coke with dd which obviously has caffeine!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Re: Caffeine

Postby CherryPop » 26 Feb 2014, 11:33

I drank 3 cups of coffee a day while pregnant, same while breastfeeding. I'm pretty sure that's what the maximum recommended amount was, I do feel guilty about it though as I eat chocolate as well, but I really struggle with tiredness otherwise. And I love my coffee ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby Kanga » 26 Feb 2014, 11:43

Weirdly this has been a double post! I'm sticking to 2 or 3 cups of tea but that is hard as I'm addicted to tea! Especially on days like today when I'm shattered!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Kanga

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 26 Feb 2014, 11:47

First time round, I switched to decaf tea (I don't drink coffee); second time round I didn't drink decaf but did reduce the amount of tea I was drinking to about 4 or 5 cups a day (can be up to 10 on a bad day in normal life :oops:). Third time round I figured I needed anything I could get to keep me going! I do/did eat chocolate, but not loads as I'm more of a savoury person, and anyway it made my horrific heartburn even worse.

Not sure if that's any help?!

Ha ha, cross posted with you - yes, keep at it!
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby LucyLastic » 26 Feb 2014, 12:04

NHS says no more than 200mg per day.
And apparently:
"The amount of caffeine found in some foods and drinks is:
- one mug of instant coffee: 100mg
- one mug of filter coffee: 140mg
- one mug of tea: 75mg
- one can of cola: 40mg
- one can of energy drink: up to 80mg
- one 50g bar of plain chocolate: up to 50mg
- one 50g bar of milk chocolate: up to 25mg"

Five cans of Coke a day! Crazy talk!

I had one glass bottle of proper (leaded) Coke a day, cold from the fridge, with a straw. Like at the pub when on holiday with my parents as a kid. Lovely :-) And if I fancied chocolate, I had it. Although I discovered bags of peppermint creams and one of those (chocolate not bags!) usually took the edge off. Must get some more of those and see if one is still enough!
I don't drink hot drinks, so have nothing else of any use to contribute. Soz :-)
Mummy to C (May 2012)
LucyLastic

Postby mamapup » 26 Feb 2014, 12:36

I also don't drink hot.drinks so find that.I get my caffeine from chocolate and diet.coke. I eat way more.chocolate than I normally would.And have maybe four.cokes a week because it calms my stomach like nothing else. All in moderation, I reckon.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby mamapup » 26 Feb 2014, 12:36

I also don't drink hot.drinks so find that.I get my caffeine from chocolate and diet.coke. I eat way more.chocolate than I normally would.And have maybe four.cokes a week because it calms my stomach like nothing else. All in moderation, I reckon.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Biddy » 26 Feb 2014, 15:48

I don't drink coffee but I've cut down my tea consumption to two mugs a day. I might have three on a bad day, I don't see that one day of slight over-consumption every now and then would be that harmful.

Out of interest, in what way does too much caffeine affect the baby? I've never actually known!
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby KateGladTidings » 26 Feb 2014, 17:33

Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 26 Feb 2014, 17:35

Ooh congrats kanga! :bsmile
With A I cut down from an entire pot of filtered coffee to a venti latte from Starbucks. I didn't count tea. Or chocolate :oops:
I thought the main risk was low birth weight. A was 9lb7oz. And the increase in my coffee consumption after her birth wasn't a shock to her system.
I think with it being a stimulant it can affect your heart rate. But it would do that if you weren't pregnant. And you might dehydrate if it's the only thing you're drinking seeing as it's a diuretic.
In my non medical opinion, if it helps you get through the day, go for it. It's better than being a crazy loon and killing your other children.
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Postby KateGladTidings » 26 Feb 2014, 17:50

I went caffeine-free completely during pregnancy (not even much chocolate cause it gave me heartburn)...Eva is really sensitive to it in my milk and still goes a bit nuts if I've had too much chocolate before her night feeds. So there is probably a case for caffeine within reason during pgcy!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Mummyto1 » 26 Feb 2014, 17:52

I answered on the other matching thread but I was told by a midwife that it raised the baby's heart rate, but not sure if she was right or what amount of caffeine would have that effect.

I didn't like the idea of raising baby's heart rate though so cut out coffee (easy since I went off it!) and drank less tea but I drink mainly rooibos so again it wasn't difficult. Didn't cut out chocolate though!
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Aggie » 26 Feb 2014, 19:33

Unfortunately, Coke was one of the few things I could keep down during the first 4 months of my pregnancy with B so I'm sure I had waaay more caffeine than is recommended. As far as I'm aware, he's fine.

Edited to say Congratulations :D :bsmile :bsmile !
Aggie

Postby Kanga » 26 Feb 2014, 19:58

Kanga

Postby Spanner » 26 Feb 2014, 20:06

I've got a great book Expecting Better by Emily Oster, which reviews a lot of the evidence for various pregnancy advice, including caffeine. I won't type it all with one finger(!) But her conclusion was that up to 3 or 4 cups of coffee was fine. As it happens, I only like tea and can't manage more than around 3 a day anyway. I do decaff in the evening to help sleep.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Next

Return to Pregnancy