Another name wobble coming up

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Another name wobble coming up

Postby StJuniper » 08 Feb 2014, 22:07

Well, the 'r' would be pronounced. No danger at all of mixing them up. Further arguments in favour of moving next door to me, mp?
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 08 Feb 2014, 22:11

[quote="mamapup"]
I guess I am wobbling because we were with Jewish friends today who looked a bit surprised and I was surprised by their reaction as they're super super lovely people and they looked confused.[/quote]

We decided not to tell anyone the names we had chosen until they were born. It would seem that people react differently/give more opinions (even if they are not requested by the parents and the people are very nice people) if the child is not yet born. Maybe because it is a done deal once the baby is here? Maybe because it's less acceptable if the child is present? Who knows? Either way, stick to the name you have chosen and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

FWIW TheWriggler has a very English name (the same as the 1st in line to the throne...) and even he thought I was talking about him when I said "Giles" today. So mix ups will happen...
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby KateGladTidings » 08 Feb 2014, 22:57

Rosie_t_Reindeer wrote:
FWIW TheWriggler has a very English name (the same as the 1st in line to the throne...) and even he thought I was talking about him when I said "Giles" today. So mix ups will happen...

Reuben pronounces it to rhyme with "Giles"!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Fuz-Chan » 08 Feb 2014, 23:32

I wouldn't worry about it, people will get the hang soon, My daughter is Aisha and Japanese people always hear it as Alisa, (Arisa) but clarification almost always works.

I think that is a beautiful name too.
Fuz-Chan

Postby Marrow » 09 Feb 2014, 05:49

mamapup wrote:... (bit gutted she's not actually courgette!)

Puppy is his name on the birth certificate though, right?
FWIW, it's a lovely name and one we might have used if it weren't for our surname sounding too similar.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby junglewonderland » 09 Feb 2014, 06:09

It's lovely, and the a at the end makes it like the girl version of the name.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby fourweewonders » 09 Feb 2014, 06:57

KateGladTidings wrote:I did think "12 tribes of Israel" when you said it, but only cause we're trying to get the full 12 ourselves*. I think it's lovely as a girl's name.

*We are REALLY not

I have two
Mum to B (b.sept 2006) & E (b.sept 2009) and R & A (b.july 2011).
fourweewonders

Postby meerkatsmum » 09 Feb 2014, 07:33

junglewonderland wrote:It's lovely, and the a at the end makes it like the girl version of the name.

This.

We also don't tell names before the birth for the same reasons mentioned above. People will feel differently when they're actually holding the baby or they'll keep their mouth shut. I think it's beautiful! And there's names like Jesse/Jessie that are both boys and girls names so really, does it matter? As long as you and Mr.C like it!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby mamapup » 09 Feb 2014, 08:28

Thanks all. Our reasons for sharing pre birth are that once we are set we are set (except I wobbled yesterday!) and that at this late stage a baby needs a.name.no matter what the outcome. We move from referring to the baby as th e in utero name to the real name and are too excited to keep quiet if specifically asked. I guess I also expect people.to be polite! I'd never tell anyone if I didn't like a name they'd chosen and am surprised if people would feel that's ok.

Mr.C wouldn't let me change it now anyway, he loves her name so unless I came up with th the actual best name in the universe ever,.there's no choice he says.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Cofa's Tree » 09 Feb 2014, 09:23

Plus I now have 'Brimful of Asha' running through my head so she's already making music wherever she goes! Lovely name.
Cofa's Tree

Postby Kitcameron » 09 Feb 2014, 12:42

We'd not really have an in utero name for Baby D. I tried calling her popcorn for a while but it didn't really fit. Now she's just Baby Girl or has her birth name when it's just dh and I referring go her. We were going to tell people her name as some family already knew anyway as it was our other choice for G but then some people said they didn't want to know til she was born (hasn't stopped them trying to guess though, lol) so now we're not telling anyone else otherwise I'll forget who knows and who doesn't and who doesn't want to and I'm already confused enough lol.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 09 Feb 2014, 16:35

StJuniper wrote:I was so confused as I read down the thread who would confuse Asher and Asha but then I realised, of course, they're pronounced the same there. So my reassurance that I would never mix up the two are going to ring pretty hollow.

Yup, totally the same here! And yup, maybe a good reason to move (back) to Canada - nope not a Canadian in hiding but both Mr.C and I have lived there in the past.

Cofa's Tree, that's a lovely thing to say, thanks. I was also wondering about the song but you put it so nicely.

Marron wrote: is his name on the birth certificate though, right?

D'uh, Obv. Who wouldn't?

Rosie_t_Reindeer wrote: TheWriggler has a very English name (the same as the 1st in line to the throne...) and even he thought I was talking about him when I said "Giles" today. So mix ups will happen..
[/quote]

Eh? Never thought those two would get mixed up. King Giles could be fun - travelling around doing food review pieces or something?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Sallie » 09 Feb 2014, 21:04

My son is Gabriel but people get really confused and call him Gabrielle very often (including my Dad when he rang his sister to tell her of his arrival!?). At the doctors for example they always call for Gabrielle - he's quite a big, beefy lad so I think one day people will get quite a shock when they are looking for Gabrielle and he turns up.
It made me a bit wobbly for a while (and this was after we'd named him as we didn't tell the name til his arrival) but I dedided just not to worry about it. Don't wobble - you've chosen a really lovely name.
My husband is called Dominic and recently his boss got an email from someone praising him and saying 'how helpful she is' and how much they were 'looking forward to meeting her'. We did find it funny.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby mamapup » 09 Feb 2014, 21:09

That's interesting, Sallie, my nephew is also.a.Gabriel (brilliant name btw) and the only one I've ever heard get confused is my fil at his birth announcement too. I was horrified, as was everyone else. And thank you. X

mamapup

Postby CaelaCoo » 10 Feb 2014, 13:41

I think personally as long as you like it and your husband likes it don't worry what others think.

When I was pregnant with monster everyone had an opinion on potentional names. Me and DH settled on one and made a mistake in telling people. Got so many negative comments that it put us off. Wish it hasn't as I still love the name (gypsy). In the end we chose monsters name and a few people still wibbled as it was quite old fashioned but once she was born no one said a word!
*Moo moo's (26/03/13)*
*baby c (4/3/15)*
CaelaCoo

Previous

Return to Pregnancy