Another name wobble coming up

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Another name wobble coming up

Postby mamapup » 08 Feb 2014, 18:42

We have finally decided on a name and now I'm unsure for a possibly really silly reason.

We have chosen Asha but now I'm concerned that because I'm nominally Jewish and therefore have lots of Jewish friends that we are all going to spend a lot of time explaining that yes, she's a girl so it's not Asher (Hebrew boys' name) but Asha, a Sanskrit girls' name. Mr.C says I shouldn't second guess what others'll think and that if we love it it's enough. I know he's right given that that's pretty much what I've just said on FT's post but now it's me having the wobble I need some reassurance too, please.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: Another name wobble coming up

Postby Marrow » 08 Feb 2014, 18:58

You may have to explain once per friend. They will get it. You know Courgette's name, right? We told lots of people (once each) that it is Courgette (not Courgitte as it were, with Courgitte being the more common name). The vast majority of people pick it up quickly and that's that.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Gizmo » 08 Feb 2014, 18:59

I really like it. There's some lovely unusual names coming up on here lately :)
Gizmo

Postby catkin » 08 Feb 2014, 19:01

It's a lovely name, but you know that. I'd have thought once you announce the birth/name to everyone they'll know that she's a girl and the spelling and that'll be that - can't quite picture the circumstances where you'd have to explain? You might sometimes have to spell it out for people as it's not common, otoh it's nice and phonetic and you won't get the issue of common names that people think they can spell, assumed shortenings/lengthenings etc.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby mamapup » 08 Feb 2014, 19:05

Marron wrote:You may have to explain once per friend. They will get it. You know Courgette's name, right? We told lots of people (once each) that it is Courgette (not Courgitte as it were, with Courgitte being the more common name). The vast majority of people pick it up quickly and that's that.

I do now, just been on a little facebook stalk - knew your name, not sure I knew Courgette's (bit gutted she's not actually courgette!)

I guess I am wobbling because we were with Jewish friends today who looked a bit surprised and I was surprised by their reaction as they're super super lovely people and they looked confused.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby qbm » 08 Feb 2014, 19:12

You'll just have to dress her head to toe in pink. Problem solved! ;)

Seriously though, wtas.

x
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby ToothFairy » 08 Feb 2014, 19:20

One of my best uni friends has an Asha, it's a beautiful name.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby FestiveTidings » 08 Feb 2014, 19:20

You may have to explain once, but so what? We had that at the beginning with Roo but now people know and it's fine.

If you love it then go for it. Otherwise you will always regret it.

For what is worth I think it's a gorgeous name. She will be so cool as a teenager. It's one of those names that just ooze coolness. :)

Sorry if I made you wobble! x
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby mamapup » 08 Feb 2014, 19:36

QBM, you're so clever, of course, why didn't I think of that? And obviously her ears will be pieced immediately so it'll be clear from that too.

mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 08 Feb 2014, 19:42

Ooh I love it.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby KateGladTidings » 08 Feb 2014, 19:46

I did think "12 tribes of Israel" when you said it, but only cause we're trying to get the full 12 ourselves*. I think it's lovely as a girl's name.

*We are REALLY not
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Mummyto1 » 08 Feb 2014, 20:00

I have to repeat my daughter's name a fair bit and people often think it is a (similar but) different one. It's only one letter different but I really don't like that name, but it honestly doesn't really bother me if people get it wrong/I have to explain etc. WE know what her name is and we love it. I've never regretted her name for a second. Go with what you love.

Also, there is a danger telling people before baby arrives as for some reason people seem to think it is ok to pass opinions other than 'it's lovely' - as soon as she is here I'm sure you won't have anyone raising an eyebrow!
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Fish&Chips » 08 Feb 2014, 20:13

I'm not 100% sure how you pronounce this name but think it is our polish Asia -(Asha..???)- that is my sisters name. Her full name is Joanna (Yoanna) but the short version is ~Asha. Anyway I definitely would not worry at all what other people think,as long as you like it!
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby StJuniper » 08 Feb 2014, 21:53

I was so confused as I read down the thread who would confuse Asher and Asha but then I realised, of course, they're pronounced the same there. So my reassurance that I would never mix up the two are going to ring pretty hollow.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby SparklePetal » 08 Feb 2014, 21:56

StJuniper wrote:I was so confused as I read down the thread who would confuse Asher and Asha but then I realised, of course, they're pronounced the same there. So my reassurance that I would never mix up the two are going to ring pretty hollow.

How would they sound where you are?
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Next

Return to Pregnancy