Asymptomatic UTI, antibiotics & the birth...

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Asymptomatic UTI, antibiotics & the birth...

Postby Singale » 05 Feb 2014, 13:23

My GP just called this morning to tell me that the routine tests confirmed that I have a UTI (GBS?) without any symptoms & that despite the bacteria reading that's just barely gone above normal and despite me feeling fine they want to treat me with a course of antibiotics to see if that'd clear it up. She said it's because I'm PG & that they normally wouldn't treat it otherwise. She also said that she's been in touch with a gynocologist who still recommends the AB treatment now. The gyno also said that one course is the only one I'd get & if it doesn't clear up when I'm done with the AB they'll not prescribe anymore regardless of the result because the amount of bacteria's so low anyway that it doesn't matter. That confuses me. So do I actually need the ABs or not? Or... Esp. Since she said it's GBS, wouldn't it be better to start taking the ABs closer to the due date to increase the chance of it cleared up & stay cleared up for the time of the birth? To which she replied that it's up to me on whether or not I want to take the AB this time, but if I am to take the AB then I have to take them now. :(

Also I'm quite upset that she told me this means that they'll automatically put me on drips when I come in to the hospital for the birth.

I read that most European countries don't do the culture test anyway & if at all, would only do a swab test on the onset of labor to check if the mother needs AB on drips during labor.

Educate me, oh knowledgeable ones! Should I take the AB now? Also, I had such a straight forward & easy - intervention free birth with Tigerle that the thought of having IV stuck on to my arms & possibly restricting movements is upsetting me. Not to mention the possible side effects to the baby. I think I read somewhere that the drips could artificially increase the birthweight somewhat that it'd seem that the early weight loss would seem higher than it actually is? (Tigerle didn't lose any weight)
Last edited by Singale on 05 Feb 2014, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Re: Asymptomatic UTI, antibiotics & the birth...

Postby StJuniper » 05 Feb 2014, 13:32

I'm fairly sure that GBS is treated with antibiotics during labour because there's no other way to be sure the bacteria isn't there during labour. But it's been a while since I read about it; here's anarticke from Evidence-Based Birth: http://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Nix » 05 Feb 2014, 13:38

I had a GBS urine sample with both boys and it was treated with oral antibiotics at the time of pregnancy (10 weeks and 30 weeks) and then IV antibiotics during labour. From what I understand the risk is very small but I didn't want to have the risk there at all. GBS is associated with miscarriage and newborn bacterial infections so for me, the antibiotics were the lesser risk.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Nix » 05 Feb 2014, 13:40

I had a very active birth with Jasper btw and stayed on my birth ball for the whole time the IV line was in. He did lose 6oz during the first few days but Harvey who I also had the IV for didn't lose any weight at all.

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Lily » 05 Feb 2014, 13:43

You're right that lots of countries don't even test for GBS - Britain being one of them. Given that, and also given how low your levels of bacteria are, I'd be inclined personally to skip the ABs.

But that said, I just wanted to reassure you about drips. I had one during labour and was still free to move around. You can't dash about the room, obviously, but normal movements during contractions etc are fine and if you want to walk to the bathroom or wherever then you just wheel the drip along with you. It's really no big deal. Also, despite the drip, Izbiz had no weight loss after birth so that's certainly not an inevitable side effect.

X-posted with Nix
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby ToothFairy » 05 Feb 2014, 13:44

I'm afraid I don't know anything about GBS, but I can tell you about this.

Singale wrote: I think I read somewhere that the drips could artificially increase the birthweight somewhat that it'd seem that the early weight loss would seem higher than it actually is? (Tigerle didn't lose any weight)

I was on saline drips whilst in labour with Elsie. She weighed 8lb 7.5oz at birth, over a pound heavier than either of my others. She also didn't look wrinkled despite being 14 days over. She then lost just over 10% of her birthweight and I was made to take her to the hospital to be checked even though I told the midwife my milk wasn't in yet. Milk came in overnight, next day she'd put on 4oz!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby StJuniper » 05 Feb 2014, 15:12

I was on GBS antibiotics both labours, but for R I asked for a saline lock which meant I didn't have to think about the IV line. Since needles make me pretty uncomfortable mentally, this meant a more relaxed birth for me.

Neither of the boys' weights were a concern...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby RJandA » 05 Feb 2014, 17:55

http://www.gbss.org.uk

Have a read and see what you think. Personally I wouldn't skip AB in labour. Actually, I think there would be quite a process to go through if you wanted to, think you'd have to meet with a consultant and sign that you're going against medical advice.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby scotrail » 05 Feb 2014, 20:23

Sorry I had to dash for dinner and patient visit earlier! Now, having read this, I'm even more confused. Is it a "regular" UTI, with what sort of bacteria? In which case I see why they want you on ABs so the infection doesn't travel to your kidneys. Or is it a GBS infection (i.e. located in your vaginal area)? In which case I see the point about intravenous ABs during birth. At any rate, I reiterate my earlier point that you should see you GP about it. You could also call the Helsestasjon and ask to talk to a midwife about it -they aren't doctors, but they do take more time to explain and are usually good at patting nervous backs if this is still bothering you. Fingers xed it's a regular UTI which should clear within the week of ABs!

PS! I'm thinking of going for Filippino food on Saturday at the international Saturday cafe; do feel free to join!
scotrail

Postby Daddy'sgirl » 05 Feb 2014, 21:09

I was confused about the uti/GBS too???
I don't want to scaremonger but I'm like Nix and wouldn't take any risks with GBS. My little sister died from this at 2 days old. I would always err on the side of caution and have the drips even if it added to my discomfort. I'm a worrier though so I would just stress if I didn't.
In this case though I would want to clarify about the GBS thing and possibly get another test done nearer the birth.
Hope things get cleared up for you and you can reach a decision you're happy with.
DD Oct 11
Daddy'sgirl

Postby Nix » 05 Feb 2014, 21:11

GBS exists in the vagina normally. If it's in the urine that's not normal. That's why you have been recommended to have a dose of anti-bs now.

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby Singale » 05 Feb 2014, 23:44

Thanks all. Since scotrail's explained it better over the phone to me this afternoon, I went to the pharmacy & took the AB afterall.

St.Juniper, thanks for that! Off to read up about saline lock. I just can't imagine laboring with a needle in my arms & attached to a pole with drips... Cue imagination running wild with gory images... UGH!

Hmm! After all this, I might change my mind & decide to go with the midwife consultations route afterall instead of my regular GP...
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Return to Pregnancy