Pregnancy updates - February

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Pregnancy updates - February

Postby bigcatmaniac » 22 Feb 2014, 20:04

KT - I thought I had the wriggliest toddler in the world for nappy changes but maybe not. She stuck both hands in a particularly foul one yesterday and then smeared her hands everywhere!

I'm 29 weeks today and am feeling ok pregnancy wise. However I seem to have turned into the clumsiest person in the world - fell halfway down the stairs on Thursday and cut my thumb while sharpening secateurs today. Not sure I'll survive another 11 weeks at this rate.

Interested to read what you all think of the NHS antenatal classes - I just went to NCT last time and found them useless (apart from meeting friends). I ended up having an induction and emergency c section after going 2 weeks over - nothing happened spontaneously so I've been swithering about whether to go to remind myself about labour issues. I am hoping for VBAC if poss.

Anyway - just thought I'd say hi and wish you all well.

Bigcat x
bigcatmaniac

Postby mamapup » 22 Feb 2014, 21:05

Bigcat, I'd go if you can. Classes run by midwives are way better than by do holders with wooly boobs at explaining things. Well, that's what I found anyway.

I'm knackered after a day at the zoo.with a whiney puppy. Mr.C has been ace but just all the walking and some puppy carrying /chasing has really taken it out of me. My parents are coming tomorrow.Mum says she's going to look after me while the men take the puppy swimming. Oh, do I hope she means it.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 22 Feb 2014, 21:14

Ooh,I hope she means it too MP. Make sure you hold her to it.

BCM - nappy changes have turned into a two man job here. She just constantly tries to escape. Luckily I managed to stop her getting her own hands in, she got me instead, ick ick ick ick ick. We need one person to hold her arms and possibly her legs as well as she tries to cross them so you can't clean her. Dh has got the hang of doing wet nappies standing up which is a bit easier but I can never get the damn things stuck on properly. I think a stapler may be handy. She has had bad nappy rash recently though and I think that's put her off a lot.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby FestiveTidings » 22 Feb 2014, 21:21

I didn't do NCT but I found the midwife ones really useful and much more matter of fact. Judging from my friends who did the NCT classes, they didn't all get the same info/slant on things. It depended on the instructor as to the way the information was presented. (Although my friends did think I was mad not to do NCT - how would I KNOW anything about caring for a newborn!?!? :) )

I'm doing the NHS ones again as I feel it's more relevant to the birth environment I'm going to be in.

KC, have you tried distracting her in some way? I used my iPhone with a Peppa vid on YouTube for Roo to watch when he was at his wriggliest.

MP, I hope your mum comes through for you - if she doesn't, can you send her off on an errand to give you a few mins rest?

Damn you indigestion. Leave me be!!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Kitcameron » 22 Feb 2014, 21:38

I've tried given her toys or my phone or lying her in front of the telly. Sometimes they work and sometimes not, generally as soon as you lie her down on the changing mat she starts kicking and wriggling and rolling over to escape.

Like I say though, today she's been better with a pillow under her head, although that does. Are lifting her bum up a bit harder lol.
Kitcameron

Postby Biddy » 23 Feb 2014, 09:29

When I tried giving my toddlers a phone to distract them it would land in the poo! More than once I would have to hold them down with one knee like this :
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby Kitcameron » 23 Feb 2014, 10:15

That's exactly what it's like trying to change G. Definitely a two person job most of the time. Putting one hand on her does not stop the leg flip over though, two hands on her shoulders might just do it.
Kitcameron

Postby Kanga » 26 Feb 2014, 10:35

Popped into the surgery yesterday to book in but she has given me an appointment with dr and said I can't just see midwife straight away. I'm sure that's not right but never mind. Another 2 weeks till appointment though so I'll be 8 weeks by then.

Feeling sicky today but ds had a disturbed night so it might just be tiredness!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby FestiveTidings » 26 Feb 2014, 10:39

That doesn't sound right Kanga. We have a central booking line that we can book our midwife through (so all our details are on the system should we need to see anyone before our booking appt) so we don't need to see GP at all during pregnancy.

I'm back at the hospital for my weekly platelet check.
FestiveTidings

Postby Kanga » 26 Feb 2014, 11:45

Hope your platelets are ok ft. Last 2 times I just wrote my details in the mid wife's book and they got in touch but this is a different surgery. I'm fully expecting the dr to say 'I don't have the paperwork, you need to see a midwife!'
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 26 Feb 2014, 13:10

When I phoned our drs initially to see if I needed a docs appt to check I was def pg before is a we a midwife the receptionist said no, if I'd done a test that was good enough for them, and. Poked my booking in appt for 10 weeks. I thought my booking in appt had been eight weeks with G so they had plenty of time to book the 12 weeks can but she said not. Still got my scan on time, had two in fact as they dated me a week less than mw.
Kitcameron

Postby monkeydo » 27 Feb 2014, 12:25

I can't remember how regular movements are this early on (I'm 18 weeks) - I'm getting them most days but it is skipping the odd day and I can't decide if that's OK or not.

Kanga, I rang the GP and they told me to just go to the midwife drop-in clinic who arranged my booking in, might be worth ringing the midwifery service to see if they do a drop-in?
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Postby Biddy » 27 Feb 2014, 12:50

FINALLY got to the GP surgery today and filled in the maternity booking form. At last! They gave me my pregnancy pack, the beginnings of my maternity notes, which made me feel all nostalgic and it's made everything so real! The receptionist was very sweet and congratulated me. And I'm to expect a phone call within a week from the surgery midwife who will book me a scan and bloods at the hospital. I'll be 12wks by the time she calls so I hope she can get me an appt quickly. Hope she doesn't tell me off for leaving it so late...

Monkeydo, I'm not sure how regular movements should be at 18weeks, but I know that lots of women haven't even felt the first movements by that stage. Especially with first pregnancies. With S I remember them telling me at my 20week scan that I must be able to feel lots of movements by now, but I hadn't felt anything yet!
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby Kitcameron » 27 Feb 2014, 13:54

I didn't feel proper movements, that ire cognised as baby, until gone 20 weeks with both my girls.

Are you're movements very obvious or not? I'd say lo could probably be moving more than you're feeling so try not to worry too much but if you are concerned get it checked out.
Kitcameron

Postby FestiveTidings » 27 Feb 2014, 14:19

I think movements are dependant on the location of the placenta. In certain places it disguises you feeling movement.

I have had a bit of a crappy day, totally exhausted and completely weepy. I texted DH at lunchtime to say I was struggling and he's coming home a couple of hours early. I feel guilty now that I couldn't cope....:(
FestiveTidings

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy