Water births

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Water births

Postby Kitcameron » 29 Jan 2014, 13:03

I think I'd really like one but can someone explain the sort of practicalities as it were.

Like what do you wear?
When do you get in? I'd like to use it as pain relief as well but don't want to spend hours in and look like a prune lol.
How does midwife check you or pull baby out?
What if you poo? (I'm imagining a mw with a fishing net lol)
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Re: Water births

Postby mamapup » 29 Jan 2014, 13:05

Bikini top
Yes, husband with net for sure.
Not sure re other questions but sure others will know and pretty sure.midwives are happy to grab babies out.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby qbm » 29 Jan 2014, 13:13

I had a water birth with E. It was amazing!

I got naked.
I got in as soon as I could. I couldn't get comfortable on land but as soon as I was in the pool I could practically do gymnastics! I was in for at least 5 hours. Don't recall looking prune-like (and can't imagine I'd have cared tbh).
Checked using a mirror and a torch. I think once E was squeezed out the mw just guided her to me. In the position I was in I couldn't catch her myself!
The mw said I didn't poo (not sure I believed her) but yes, a fishing net and a quick response!
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Lioncub's mama » 29 Jan 2014, 13:22

I didnt wear anything!
I think that usually they recommend waiting until about 5-6 cm dilated before getting in (i was 9cm and heading into second stage labour when i got in - i didnt realise i was so far on)
We had a sieve to fish out poo :D
The midwife had a monitor that worked underwater for the heartbeat and also a mirror. When baby was born she reached in and passed him up to me.
Being in the water was lovely! The feeling of relaxation i had when i got in was amazing, i couldnt stop telling dp how lovely it was :D
Last edited by Lioncub's mama on 29 Jan 2014, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby Alstarofwonder » 29 Jan 2014, 13:23

I wore a vest top and then whipped it off when she was born for skin to skin.
I got in when I found the pain too much for the TENS, roughly 2.5 hours after first contraction and same before she was born.
I got out once for a check when I was pretty much fully dilated, but other than that the mw just checked using a doppler a few times while I was still in the water.
I had wanted to catch the baby, but in the end we got a bit tangled with the cord around her neck so the mw passed her to me.
I'm not aware of there being poo, but assume there was. Don't think there was time for it to be dealt with before she was born.
Dh just sat by my head and held my hand when I needed, but tbh I was fine on my own.

I would totally recommend a water birth. The pain relief was amazing and it felt so lovely to be in the warm water.
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Postby pirate_han » 29 Jan 2014, 15:08

B arrived via EMCS but I started out at the midwifery centre and used the pool. I was 5cm dilated when I arrived and they got me straight in the pool. I wore a bra. No idea about poo. I was monitored via a Doppler at regular intervals and the midwife let me do it myself. I had to get out twice for internal checks. The water was so so lovely, very relaxing, a great form of pain relief.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby mindy » 29 Jan 2014, 15:37

I arrived at the hospital at 5.30, in water by 6.30 and Min arrived at 7. Was amazing. I wore a tankini top but you honestly don't care - and I somehow ended up with poo on my arm but I didn't care about that either! Min's first photo looks like I'm cuddling her on the beach, we were so relaxed and elated. Not sure about midwife checks as there wasn't time, but we had to move to the bed for the placenta. Good luck! x x
Two adorable, headstrong daughters: Roo born Sept 2008, Min born April 2011, and small boy who arrived Summer 2015
mindy

Postby Alstarofwonder » 29 Jan 2014, 16:22

Oh yes, placenta.... I had wanted to get out and have the injection, but once I stood up gave a couple of pushes and had a tug from the mw it plopped out in the pool (sorry if tmi!) So there is also a bonus if you're at home that a pool contains all the messy bits!
Mum to E (squizzer) since 9/8/11 and R (monkey chops) 3/9/13
Alstarofwonder

Postby Kitcameron » 29 Jan 2014, 17:15

Thanks everyone, now I definitely want a water birth, sounds amazing. I love being in the water and love my hot baths anyway. Will remind dh to pack fishing net lol. I know that sounds like a silly thing and I'm sure I won't care at the time, it's the worry of the embarrassment beforehand lol.
Kitcameron

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 29 Jan 2014, 18:12

For me:

Like what do you wear? Nothing
When do you get in? I'd like to use it as pain relief as well but don't want to spend hours in and look like a prune lol. I got in at 5cm when I arrived at the unit possibly around 2pm ish and had her in the water at 9.30pm ish. Didn't get prune like! But did get blisters on the tops of my toes as I spent nearly all the time on my knees. Knees ached a bit too! Had to get out once for a catheter and once for a check around pushing stage after waters gone. Both times getting out were hell!
How does midwife check you or pull baby out? Doppler in water. She didn't pull baby out. Born in the water and I picked her up
What if you poo? (I'm imagining a mw with a fishing net lol) Yep!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 29 Jan 2014, 20:31

Firstly: DO IT! My water birth was awesome.

what do you wear? I wore a bikini top until he was born and I whipped it off and we had skin to skin.

When do you get in? I got in at 5cm and could. not. wait. I had a shower which was amazing pain relief, but I had to stop while the pool was filled up. I really suffered at that point, going hot and cold, almost like I had 'flu. When DP said the pool was filled up I asked the MW to check me and I was 5cm so got in straight away. Sweet relief.

How does midwife check you or pull baby out? They had a waterproof device to listen in to the heartbeat (and were very respectful when using it) so I was able to get "in the zone" quite easily. TheBean was born in the water and I moved backwards and picked him up. It was so lovely to be the first person to get to him (and I kept him for quite a while until I needed to get out)

What if you poo? (I'm imagining a mw with a fishing net lol) there were two MWs with a fishing net! Nothing was mentioned and I didn't ask but I assume there was something other than baby related stuff floating about.

Aww. Happy memories. Thanks for asking the question. :bsmile
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Jelly Belly » 29 Jan 2014, 21:13

With Squirmy I wore a halter neck top. For the Chooby and Bam I wore nothing.
With the girls I got in at 5cm. With Bam, as soon as it was filled (I had no VEs but was definitely in active labour).
The Chooby was born on the sofa. She was in a bad positionand took 2 hours of pushing. The pool was awesome for the first stage but not essential for the actual birth. The other 2 were born in the pool.

With Squirmy, I told the midwife she was gonna need the sieve about a minute before Squirmy shot out. With Bam there was no sieve required and it was a much slower, gentler delivery.

Can't imagine labouring without a pool but I'm a girl who loves a long, hot soak.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby pimento » 29 Jan 2014, 21:20

Like what do you wear?

With Big E, a camisole. With Little E, nothing

When do you get in?

With Big E, I got in waaaay too early, like I probably wasn't even 1cm (seriously :oops: ). I didn't have a water birth with her. With Little E, I used the pool as proper pain relief- so when I couldn't bare it anymore, I went in- I was near transition at that point. I didn't have any VEs so I don't know how far along I wasn.

How does midwife check you or pull baby out?

Waterproof sonicaid. Some will do VEs under water, but if they want to check you, you'll probably have to get out (but you don't HAVE to).
I was leaning against the back of the pool when Little E was born and the MW just caught him and pulled him to the surface.

What if you poo? (I'm imagining a mw with a fishing net lol)

Yup, most pools come with sieves ;)
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby mamapup » 29 Jan 2014, 21:53

I'm going to speak with the out of.guidelines midwife about a water.birth in two weeks. Super excited and really hoping she says we can try for one. So if you have any.more.questions I can always ask for you.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 29 Jan 2014, 22:56

Ooh excellent thanks MP. Can't think of anything else right now.
Kitcameron

Next

Return to Pregnancy