Birth Plans?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Birth Plans?

Postby FestiveTidings » 24 Jan 2014, 16:42

What did you write on yours? Last time I didn't have one. It was basically do whatever is necessary. This time round I still have that in the forefront of my mind, but now I have a few suggestions

- be able to move around the room. Not pinned to the bed by the fetal heart monitor.
- delayed cord clamping
- skin to skin ASAP, along with latching on

To me, this seems woefully short. What am I missing? I think I am panicking slightly and I have this mental block whenever I have to think of the birth.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Birth Plans?

Postby cloudcuckoo » 24 Jan 2014, 17:43

Thank you for the reminder, I needed to print mine back out.

Mine includes:
Reasons for wanting home birth (dislike/ fear of hospitals and reasons for it) with acknowledgement that it may not be possible;
Means of addressing fears which we want carers to take into account regardless of setting:
    active birth
    avoiding interventions as far as possible
    need to feel in control/ full consultation on decisions
    Importance of breastfeeding to us

It also lists my preferred methods of pain relief, current/recent concerns about baby's position, leaving the cord to pulse, immediate skin-to-skin unless pressing medical need, how I want 3rd stage managed and vit K administered. Also, a note on DH's tendency to feel faint at even the mention of blood as well as next of kin details and a summary of names and numbers for people who will care for the girls.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby Marrow » 24 Jan 2014, 19:09

I made it clear that I was very happy to have students there, that I wanted to be kept informed of what was happening, and that I was happy for them to use technical language.

They did all the above - it became apparent that the registrar who stitched up my urethral tear afterwards hadn't read it when she told me about what she was doing to my 'water works'!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kanga » 24 Jan 2014, 19:42

With ds my notes had a template in them so using that, this is what I wrote:

Birth Plan

Birth partner
Dh

Labour & delivery
Be as active as upright as possible
Would like to deliver kneeling/leaning on edge of bed - just not lying down!!
Once baby is delivered I would like to have it on my chest for skin to skin asap
We would like Dh to be the one to discover the baby’s sex
If possible I would like to let the cord stop pulsing but then be given the injection for the placenta as I bled last time

Pain relief
As little drug relief as possible!
Paracetamol/bath/heat pad at home
Massage/keeping active/music as distraction
Willing to try bath/pool in hospital for pain relief but probably not for delivery
TENS?
Open to gas and air but made me woozy last time

Slow progress
Open to waters being broken if necessary
Would rather not have the drip if possible

Assisted delivery
I had a 3rd degree tear with my first baby so if a tear looks likely I would rather an elective episiotomy to maintain some control over the tear

After the birth
I would like baby handed to me straight away, before being cleaned/checked etc
I want to breast feed ASAP
We would like some time on our own with baby in the delivery room before we’re moved
We would like baby to have the vitamin K injection
I would like to be discharged after 6 hours if we are both well
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Kitcameron » 24 Jan 2014, 21:15

With G it was written on a post it note and then I forgot to take it lol.

It said
- take all drugs going (I am a wuss when it comes to pain)
- listen to the midwife
- go with the flow.

Number 1 failed and I survived with gas and air. Popcorns birth plan will look something like
- water birth with gas and air if possible
- skin to skin as soon after birth as possible
- bf as soon after birth as possible
- vit k injection for baby
- injection to deliver placenta for me (don't get the two mixed up) last time I wanted it but they didn't give it as birth was so quick but getting placenta out took 45 minutes.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 24 Jan 2014, 21:28

I haven't even considered writing one thus time. Maybe because last time's was.so irrelevant. Maybe I should. Sigh. Something else to add to a list of things I'm ignoring.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kitcameron » 24 Jan 2014, 21:31

I just made mine up now MP lol. Not that it isn't what I want, I mean made up in a kind of I just thought of it kind of way not like I made a fictional one lol
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 24 Jan 2014, 22:02

My doula sent me a number of templates - happy to email them if you're interested. They were generally all natural as possible type plans but also had what happens if you have to go for emcs.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby FestiveTidings » 25 Jan 2014, 06:01

Where'stheMistletoe wrote:My doula sent me a number of templates - happy to email them if you're interested. They were generally all natural as possible type plans but also had what happens if you have to go for emcs.

Yes please! I'll PM you my address.

MP, yes I was ignoring it too until DH called me on it with how can I look after you when I don't know what you want?
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Brigitte » 25 Jan 2014, 06:20

After two birth plans and two births, I have realized that a key consideration is what your medical provider's default assumptions and choices about your care are. If your midwives/hospital/OB will all default to choices that you're comfortable with, then you don't need to specify those things in your birth plan and you can keep the whole document a lot simpler. If you anticipate wanting things to go quite differently than your midwives/hospital/OB are used to, then you will want to be much more detailed and specific.

Another thing I have found helpful is to assume that only three people will actually read your birth plan word-for-word: Yourself, your husband/partner/support person, and your doula (if applicable). If you have a particularly close relationship with your midwives, then you can add them to that list as well. Hospital/medical staff will only read your birth plan if they happen to have time, which is unlikely. With this in mind, I have always chosen 2 or three sentences to put in bold print, in hopes that medical staff would at least read those.

For me, those three key points boiled down to:
1) I desire an unmedicated birth with as few interventions as possible.
2) I have a needle phobia. My husband or my doula can explain my coping strategy.
3) I desire a physiological third stage of labour, and intend to decline the oxytocin shot.

I knew that my doula and midwives and hospital staff were all quite familiar with the usual strategies for natural childbirth, so I didn't need to explain that one any further, it just let them know I wasn't anticipating an epidural. My needle phobia and my declining of the shot to help deliver the placenta are two items that are outside the realm of "business as usual" for my medical team, and are also things that could happen quite quickly without much discussion if I didn't state my preferences outright. I figure that any other procedure would be properly discussed with us before going ahead, so we would have time to make our preferences known in the moment.

I also made sure to let my husband and my doula know more of my non-medical preferences, such as a very hands-off approach to my newborn until we had finished our first nursing session.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Return to Pregnancy