Encouraging baby to come out - she did arrive!

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Encouraging baby to come out - she did arrive!

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 16 Jan 2014, 09:21

What did you do to bring on labour? I'm 41 weeks tomorrow and fed up. Particularly after having a sweep on Sunday which seemed like it kicked things off. Absolutely nothing since Sunday night and now I just feel huge and uncomfortable and sorry for myself! Baby is obviously very comfy though. Crumpet was on time so this is a new and unpleasant experience. And I really really want to avoid induction and have this baby at home as planned. Any suggestions? I'm already drinking lots of raspberry leaf tea, eating pineapple, walking and bouncing on my ball (DTD definitely doesn't appeal!).
Last edited by Toasty Crumpet on 18 Jan 2014, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Re: Encouraging baby to come out

Postby Mummyto1 » 16 Jan 2014, 09:25

Lots of hard walking has always helped with me. Even more so if I'm a bit cross too!

(((Hugs)))) I went to 40+6 last time when the other two were on time and I was surprised by how desperate I felt at the end. Hold onto the fact that you WILL have your baby soon. All it takes is one contraction for things to 'start' and then you're on your way x
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby cloudcuckoo » 16 Jan 2014, 09:27

It's total full moon tonight, does that help? I may be putting too much hope into that myself though, and I'm not at 40 weeks yet.

Have you got any floors that need scrubbing or low-down kitchen cupboards to clean out? Whilst making a hot curry? Or do you know anyone with a small baby you could meet for a cuddle?
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby CherryPop » 16 Jan 2014, 09:39

On the weekend before I went into labour on the Monday, I went for 2x 3.5 mile walks on the Saturday, went to an NCT sale on the Sunday (lots of adrenaline and elbowing for the bargains!) and had a sweep in the PM (bless my midwife who came out to do that on a Sunday pm!). I'd had 3 sweeps previous and had been full engaged with favourable membranes - when the midwife tried to sweep me on the Sunday she said the head was right out of my pelvis and there was no stretch in the cervix at all. So I was very disheartened and didn't think the baby was EVAH going to come out ;)

I started contracting at around midday on the Monday. I'm not convinced anything I did helped, I think it was just time. That probably doesn't help you much ;)

I found the walking helped mentally the most, I really felt like I was doing something useful and it was nice and calming.
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby pimento » 16 Jan 2014, 09:42

Reflexology and acupuncture! I have a reflexology cheat-sheet which worked for me (sent to me by my reflexologist) and at least one other mama-in-waiting which I'm happy to send to you if you PM me your email address :)
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby robyn » 16 Jan 2014, 10:00

goodness knows - I've gone 40+11 and 40+10, martha was 40+1 but only because she was induced!
sympathy, it's miserable.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Fish&Chips » 16 Jan 2014, 10:02

I did a few things towards the end as I was getting panicky too- all my NCT class friends were overdue and half had emergency C-sections...Not sure what if any of those actually helped...

-Lots of bouncing on birthing ball. I swapped my office chair for one and all tv watching was on the ball etc.
-I ate tons of pineapple. Must have been going through at leasts 3 a day in last week,maybe longer.
-I worked until the very last day (Friday and gave birth on Sat, how convenient). We have glass business and I was doing a lot of heavy glass handling and lifting...And on my feet all day.
-Hot curry, but we eat hot food all time anyway...
-We dtd a few times towards the very end. We obviously also did during the pregnancy, but you now...'purposely' I suppose is the word I'm looking for.Not sure if we did anything differently,maybe we were not careful/gentle anymore :oops: That said DH took some convincing as I think he was worried a little to what might happen. (So one night I took the matter in my own hands- who heed men anyway, right? A little DIY and I gave birth day later :D :oops: )

Oh, I went 40+3 :)
Mummy to gorgeous boy since Dec 2012
Fish&Chips

Postby jvnt » 16 Jan 2014, 10:05

robyn wrote:goodness knows - I've gone 40+11 and 40+10, martha was 40+1 but only because she was induced!
sympathy, it's miserable.

More or less this.

I've heard a long walk and a big glass of wine when you get home works. Tis what I'll be trying this time!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Nix » 16 Jan 2014, 10:15

These things don't work:
Walking
Spicy food
Sex
Bfing
Wishing
Hoping
Baths
Pizza Hut
Birth ball

These things possibly help:
Midwife sweep (although I was already 3cm)

(((Hugs))) I was 7 days, 8 days and 14 days overdue. I think they come when they're ready. I don't think we should give pregnant ladies hope that anything they can do will start labour.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby StJuniper » 16 Jan 2014, 10:21

I was induced at 41 weeks with P. I was worried I'd go late & have to have an induction again for R but at 40+3, I woke at 8, nursed P for half and hour and then DTD and by 10:30 I was heading for the hospital.

ETA: I've read that DTD has some science to it, unlike most of the old wive's tales. Something in semen... although I felt like it was my own hormones in my case. All through my pregnancy I'd have strong BH after every nursing session and orgasm. I felt like my body was ready but not quite sure how to start and that double-dose of oxytocin was the jump start it needed.
Last edited by StJuniper on 16 Jan 2014, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 16 Jan 2014, 10:28

CherryPop wrote:On the weekend before I went into labour on the Monday, I went for 2x 3.5 mile walks on the Saturday, went to an NCT sale on the Sunday (lots of adrenaline and elbowing for the bargains!) and had a sweep in the PM (bless my midwife who came out to do that on a Sunday pm!). I'd had 3 sweeps previous and had been full engaged with favourable membranes - when the midwife tried to sweep me on the Sunday she said the head was right out of my pelvis and there was no stretch in the cervix at all. So I was very disheartened and didn't think the baby was EVAH going to come out ;).

My sweep on Sunday was like this, the mw seemed really confident and now I feel like the head has unengaged. You give me hope Cherry!

CC, I thought the full moon was last night but then read about it being smaller than usual so I probably talked myself out of it having any effect.

Thanks for your suggestions. Going to get off forum now and actually go walking in the woods while it is sunny and not raining. It did make me feel better the other day so will hopefully have same affect today. Then going to scrub some floors while it rains this afternoon. At least I am not in Australia currently and not having to deal with 45+ degrees.

Hope this thread encourages some other forum babies out too, although I may be jealous if mine still hasn't arrived!!
Toasty Crumpet

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 16 Jan 2014, 10:32

StJuniperWreath wrote:I was induced at 41 weeks with P. I was worried I'd go late & have to have an induction again for R but at 40+3, I woke at 8, nursed P for half and hour and then DTD and by 10:30 I was heading for the hospital.

ETA: I've read that DTD has some science to it, unlike most of the old wive's tales. Something in semen... although I felt like it was my own hormones in my case. All through my pregnancy I'd have strong BH after every nursing session and orgasm. I felt like my body was ready but not quite sure how to start and that double-dose of oxytocin were the jump start it needed.

My mw has been encouraging dtd, and I have seen similar to you about the science of it. Just feels like there is too much baby in the way. Maybe tonight I can build myself up to it!
Toasty Crumpet

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 16 Jan 2014, 10:34

Nix wrote:These things don't work:
Walking
Spicy food
Sex
Bfing
Wishing
Hoping
Baths
Pizza Hut
Birth ball

These things possibly help:
Midwife sweep (although I was already 3cm)

(((Hugs))) I was 7 days, 8 days and 14 days overdue. I think they come when they're ready. I don't think we should give pregnant ladies hope that anything they can do will start labour.

Yup, this one is being pretty clear it's going to come when it's ready!
Toasty Crumpet

Postby Rahgamuffin » 16 Jan 2014, 10:42

Having gone +10 and +4 with the boys and tried everything with no success, I can recommend lounging on the sofa in your fluffy new dressing gown, having put clean bed sheets on the bed and being completely unprepared as a great way to start things off...
Mum to B (05/08), J (02/11) & L (01/14)
Rahgamuffin

Postby pirate_han » 16 Jan 2014, 11:26

On the day I went into labour I had cleaned the skirting boards and eaten a Nandos. They probably didn't help but who knows! She took forever anyway, I went into labour on 39+4 and she arrived on her due date.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Next

Return to Pregnancy