How are your episiotomy and birth scars healing? UPDATED

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: How are your episiotomy and birth scars healing?

Postby shellspark » 15 Jan 2014, 12:11

Also if all is well with a section you should get a 24 hr discharge...
Mummy to Little P (May 2010) and Baby C (October 2012)
shellspark

Re: How are your episiotomy and birth scars healing?

Postby SharkiesMum » 15 Jan 2014, 18:31

Rah - I am reluctant to go to WHH only because I work there it might be a bit funny. I think I was unlucky with the other patients last time and got stuck in for 96 hours due to incompetence. This time I'll walk out the door after 48 hours (it's amazing how much more confidence I have this time!).

You've all helped me to feel much more confident in asking for a csection tomorrow if the risks from my scar are high still! Thanks!
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Re: How are your episiotomy and birth scars healing? UPDATED

Postby SharkiesMum » 17 Jan 2014, 08:17

I saw the obstetrician yesterday, and she was great. She really listened and talked through my particular circumstances clearly. She had spoken to my colorectal surgeon who agreed with her that the damage I have (scar and some mild dysfunction of the sphincter muscles) is similar or a bit worse than the damage caused by a 4th degree tear. So if I had delivered naturally before and had this damage then there would be a 17-30% risk of further damage to the anal sphincter which would worsen my symptoms. However, since I have never delivered natrually before the risk would be even higher than this.

To me that risk of permanent damage is too high, so they booked me for a c section. I am actually really happy with that decision now, despite wanting a VBAC before I saw them. And they have changed their policies so I can go home after 24 hours if everything is straightfoward.

I'm so glad it was so clear cut (to me anyway). A potentially more than 30% chance of permanent damage compared with some extra time in hospital away from DS doesn't really compare!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Before this thread I was adamant I wanted a VBAC but I went in with a much more open mind because of what you all said which I think has helped me not to feel disappointed.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby CherryPop » 17 Jan 2014, 12:09

It definitely sounds like the right decision SM, I agree I couldn't risk those odds. Well done for being positive about it, and at least now you have a date to look forwards to! How exciting ;)
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby shellspark » 17 Jan 2014, 12:44

So glad it was a useful session and you feel ok about the outcome! I'd definitely do the same in your position.
Mummy to Little P (May 2010) and Baby C (October 2012)
shellspark

Postby SparklePetal » 17 Jan 2014, 12:55

I'm glad they could give you such straightforward information. I would definitely have made the same decision in your place.
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby mamapup » 17 Jan 2014, 14:15

Me too. Well done you and I 'm super glad you've made a decision (the right one!!!).
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 17 Jan 2014, 16:27

I'm glad you've been able to make an informed decision, and that you are happy with it too.
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Previous

Return to Pregnancy