Hypnobirthing - hooey or really works?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Hypnobirthing - hooey or really works?

Postby welovepresents » 12 Jan 2014, 19:33

It really worked for me with Dd in terms of pain relief - I was totally in the zone and therefore midwives said I didn't have to have an epidural when I was given syntocinon which they then said meant I avoided a c section. With ds it was all too quick and intense to really get into the zone. The cd was really helpful generally for help with naps and relaxing when pregnant...
Mother to squeezy little girl born Dec 2010 and now little DS born May 2013
welovepresents

Postby pimento » 12 Jan 2014, 19:45

I did natal hypnotherapy and it worked for me- I really wanted to use it to get through transition as I completely lost it with big E's labour and it worked for me.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 12 Jan 2014, 19:51

I also did Natal Hypnotherapy - the CD, not the course.

I wouldn't say it made childbirth or labour pain free (as some say it has for them) but I did help me to relax, both before the birth and during. Doing it beforehand forced me to stop and take some time out, rather than doing the washing/hoovering etc etc. Every time I listened to it in bed, I fell asleep so I also listened in the bath. I found it really useful in this way.

I also used the techniques from the CD and yoga classes to concentrate during contractions and to relax. Like I said, not pain free, but relaxed and in control - which is what I wanted.

I also use the breathing techniques when having dental work or coil put in, which I've had done recently. I can zone out, rather than get myself all knotted up over it! Definitely a bonus.

I would recommend it - even if you're skeptical. I still have the CD, so if you'd like a copy, then let me know!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby SparklePetal » 12 Jan 2014, 19:53

In our area there was a free taster session with a local hypno-lady, which was fantastic to help me make up my mind about it. Turned out to be too alien to my mentality and outlook! But it was a helpful part of the whole process of thinking through the ways I wanted to improve my ability to cope with labour second time around. I think it's great for any woman to be considering what she can do to try and understand and work with her labour. There is no universal method that will help all of us, because it's so personal.
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Postby mamapup » 12 Jan 2014, 19:55

Oh go on then Juddy, that'd be interesting, thanks. Drop box or actual CD? I guess I should give everything a.try. I think, for me, I sort of feel calm about birth anyway but maybe that's because I'm eight weeks away! I'll have to admit to my friend that I'm gonna try it though since.I was.quite.scathing on fb! But if all you guys think it was useful, if not totally what it says on the tin, then I'm willing to give it a.go.

If I have no.problem with the idea.of epidural or other interventions.does it mean it's.unlikely to be for me, though?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Cofa's Tree » 12 Jan 2014, 20:03

I can lend you the hypnobirthing book mp, if you want? (Or anyone else who wants to borrow it). PM me if you want it and I can post it to you this week, but no worries if you're not interested or want to try Juddy's cd first.
Cofa's Tree

Postby Tintin » 12 Jan 2014, 20:28

I didn't even think about hypnobirthing with Stompy. I had the CD for Squeak's birth but couldn't listen to it without either getting annoyed or bored or just giggling. Apart from the times that I fell asleep... ;) I tried a handful of times and then just put it away.
Both births were home births without any pain relief, so for me, I don't think it would have added anything.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby Sallie » 12 Jan 2014, 20:38

I wasn't too into the CDs, I always fell asleep after about 5 mins though which was very useful in those late stages of pregnancy, especially when I was insane enough to go on holiday in a caravan, sleeping on a single 'bed' at a v noisy campsite. It was more the overall approach, I found it went hand in hand with the yoga apporach - the usefulness of breathing through contractions and relaxation, all the stuff about maximising oxytocin so things progress nicely. I met an absolutely lovely hypno-birthing lady (through my yoga teacher) who just did a one of chat with us at home because we couldn't affort the full course, she also lent me all the books/CDs rather than selling them to me, so clearly wasn't in it for the money.

She made me feel confident enough to go for a home birth which I wanted but was a bit wobbly about.

I don't think you can know if it works because you can't repeat the same labour without it but with my first I was a bit overwhelmed with the contractions from the get go whereas with my second I was in labour all day but barely noticed until I realised the contractions were two minutes apart and lasting a minute at which point I thought I'd better call the midwife... once she arrived I gave birth within two hours, no pain relief. Who knows though, it might have been just the same anyway?

One thing that is quite nice is it gives the birth partner quite a specific role so for any partners who feel a bit like a spare part during labour it can give them a way to feel more useful.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby mamapup » 12 Jan 2014, 21:28

Cofa's Tree wrote:I can lend you the hypnobirthing book mp, if you want? (Or anyone else who wants to borrow it). PM me if you want it and I can post it to you this week, but no worries if you're not interested or want to try Juddy's cd first.

That's really kind of you CT. If I'm honest.I have no idea.if I should try the CD or the book. I started this thread assuming the answer wwould be that the whole thing was.rubbish so now I'm thrown and intrigued! What is better for a.skeptical rationalist who is very pro science but not always totally closed to other stuff?
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby Cofa's Tree » 12 Jan 2014, 22:24

Ha! Well the offer's there if you're intrigued enough...

I stumbled across the book cos I was searching for something that would fit with my vague pregnant thoughts along the lines of 'it's a natural process, my ancestors did it for years and years presumably without screaming like they do on the telly, other mammals instinctively know how to do it so why should I be any different, surely if I just allow the process to happen my body will efficiently and effectively do what it needs to do'. I wouldn't say the book perfectly fits that, but it did reinforce elements of it. I needed something rational and logical to concentrate on (because that's what calms me) and the book offered enough sciency stuff to support that. But there's a whole other level of stuff in there that just wasn't for me, so there were probably better books out there for me to have bought if I'd looked harder.
Cofa's Tree

Postby Brigitte » 13 Jan 2014, 08:20

I like what my midwife had to say about it: It works for some people and it doesn't for others. When it works, people love it. But for those who really had high hopes and then it doesn't actually work for them, it can be pretty rough. She said it absolutely doesn't hurt to go for it, but to be prepared for the eventuality that it might not work for you in the moment and maybe have a backup coping plan just in case.

For myself, I just did everything I could to inform myself about how birth works, to read lots of birth stories, to understand that confidence and focus and relaxation can make a big difference in terms of pain management. And then I just went with it. My labours both involved some spontaneous visualizations (My favourite: Whole elephants are born out of vaginas too, so surely my little baby can manage to come out of mine! That's right folks, my focal point was elephant vaginas.), some swaying and bellydancing. My second labour went incredibly quickly and I did a lot of vocalizing too. Both labours went well, with no medication and no regrets. (Although I did sip the gas for the stitches after my first birth.)
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby Cofa's Tree » 13 Feb 2014, 12:55

How have you found it mp? (Just noticed you referencing the cd on the GTFTS thread and wondered out of interest what your thoughts were)
Cofa's Tree

Postby mamapup » 13 Feb 2014, 17:13

Hiya, um, I like that the CD sends me to sleep! I can see that the relax technique could be pretty good.but I suspect I'll forget about it in the heat of the moment.
The book was less successful because it kept talking about what women in Africa do and.sort of idolising it while I spend my entire working life trying to get African women in to hospitals to give birth because their traditional practices are often extremely dangerous. Mr.C point blank refused to read the book after I told him that so success was never going to come for us!

mamapup

Postby Biddy » 13 Feb 2014, 17:43

I tried some of the hypnobirthing techniques for my second labour. I think it definitely helped me to control my tension during contractions and I will be using the relaxation techniques again next time. I was able to feel more aware of what my body was doing, and understanding what the muscles of the uterus were doing also seemed to help me. I tried visualisation but when the contractions got really intense it kinda went out the window. I would recommend the breathing techniques and practicing relaxing all of your body. I found practicing the visualisation really difficult though. I couldn't get the thought out if my head that no, I'm not floating in a rosy world, I'm lying on the sofa in my living room.

There were things in the book I found interesting and helpful, mainly the sciency bits. What I thought was misleading was the claims to pain-free labour. I fully accept that some women are fortunate enough to experience a painless labour, but I think most women will feel some pretty intense pain, and I thought the book could produce some very unrealistic expectations for a woman who's never given birth before. I also found the stuff about pushing very irritating, the idea that pushing the baby out was unnatural and enforced. Not for me it isn't! When my body wants to push it damn well pushes and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I've never forced any pushing and nobody has ever shouted 'push!' at me while I was giving birth. The first time I was in labour and my body started uncontrollably pushing my baby out, I was terrified, I had no idea what was going on! The midwife had to tell me I was pushing and not to worry.
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Previous

Return to Pregnancy