What can they tell you at a 12 week visit?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: What can they tell you at a 12 week visit?

Postby Singale » 07 Jan 2014, 20:45

Same system in Norway. First consultation at ca.12 wks. One scan at 20-ish weeks for the whole pregnancy, unless you're over 38 before the end of pregnancy, or already have a child with down syndrome. All consultations, treatments, tests & the one scan are free of charge, but if you want anything else (i.e. Non-routine/ non-referenced) additional scans you'd have to go private.

Anyhow, had my 12 weeks consultation with GP last week. Got given a stack of brochure to read; 4 ampules of blood taken (antibodies check, I suppose?); urine sample tested for protein, sugar & blood; weighed; then the GP asked how I felt in general, measured blood pressure, then explained why she won't give me a referal for 12wk scan (not old enough, too healthy & Tigerle's fine). Then we listened to little dot's heartbeat before I got sent home. No belly measurement.

Feels a bit funny since when I was pg with Tigerle I felt fine but annoyed by all the appointments, tests, many many scans...this time around I'm much more affected & bothered by this pregnancy but feel "abandoned"! It's like I've gone from one (near) extreme to another. :?

Have made an appointment to do the 12wk scan on Friday privately. Fingers crossed!
Tigerle's mum since Sept 2010
And now Pferdle's as well since July 2014
Singale

Postby Kitcameron » 18 Jan 2014, 20:37

I wonder why they can hear a heartbeat at 12 weeks in Norway but not in the East Midlands, UK. Heard it fine at 16 weeks with Popcorn with midwife spent ages trying to find it at 15 weeks with G.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 18 Jan 2014, 20:41

We heard it at 12 weeks.in the uk, possibly even earlier as we had a private seven week scan this time and I'm sure I remember hearing it.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Marrow » 19 Jan 2014, 08:26

If you're having a scan, you can see the heart beating from quite early and put a Doppler window on what you can see. It's much harder to find an early heart beat if you're using a non-imaging Doppler probe.
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Postby Kitcameron » 19 Jan 2014, 11:57

That's true, we've never heard heartbeat at 12 weeks but we did see it beating, obviously, well hopefully, at 12 weeks so no reason why you shouldn't get to hear it too.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby EnigmaFish » 19 Jan 2014, 12:40

Singale wrote:Feels a bit funny since when I was pg with Tigerle I felt fine but annoyed by all the appointments, tests, many many scans...this time around I'm much more affected & bothered by this pregnancy but feel "abandoned"! It's like I've gone from one (near) extreme to another. :?

Have made an appointment to do the 12wk scan on Friday privately. Fingers crossed!

This time around, I find it really surprising how little care one gets in the first trimester! I suffered badly from prenatal depression in my last pregnancy, and now I'm wondering if the "neglect" in the first trimester had anything to do with it. I don't have a network of experienced mothers around me, and so I was (still am) flying blind as to what to do.

Singale, are you still feeling abandoned? I hope you know you're not alone, but more than that, I hope the medical system has given you some attention by now. How did your private scan go?

As for me, I went to my 12 week visit and everything went as smoothly as it can when you have to queue for three hours.
The midwives and doctor were all lovely (and introduced themselves!). I'm physically fine, and I got a pleasant surprise: They did a quick scan! Junior is healthy, moving around loads and... a singleton.

So much for a mother's intuition!
v1.0: Kleintje, born January 2012.
v2.0: Newt, born July 2014.
EnigmaFish

Previous

Return to Pregnancy