Spring babies

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Spring babies

Postby mamapup » 05 Jan 2014, 12:35

We've just got stuff down from the loft to sort through for newbie. She's due early March. The puppy is a summer boy so I don't really know if we have enough warm stuff for March. There's a good chance it'll still be properly cold, right?

We have babygros and onesie vest things and two cardigans for newborns. I'm guessing I should get: socks (can't tell if any of the puppy's are newborn or not - I think I've totally forgotten how tiny a newborn is), couple more warm tops, 2.5 tog sleeping bag (??? - in March, I guess it'll be chilly at night? We only have 1tog bags in teeny tiny size) and a coat/hat??

Any suggestions from people with spring babies? Do I need booties? Don't think the puppy had any until he was 3 months or so as we just used slightly thicker socks in autumn.

Should have planned this better and gone for another June baby!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Re: Spring babies

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Jan 2014, 12:47

Not sure about spring but G had a 2.5 tog sleeping bag as an autumn baby and I think she wore sleep suits with socks underneath, or maybe no socks I can't remember. She definitely had some newborn socks once upon a time and the 0-6 month sock ones. Think she often had a cardigan over her sleep suit but can't really remember.

Dh said she often wore a long sleeved vest, long sleeved tshirt and trousers with feet or long sleeved vest and sleep suit.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby StJuniper » 05 Jan 2014, 13:43

P was the very end of February but that's a long way from spring here. Anyways, he normally wore footed, long-sleeved sleepers (I don't know what you would call them!) because baby socks IME just fall off. I think we had two pairs that actually worked, the rest wouldn't stay on, especially once they get those chubby baby cankles going.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby pirate_han » 05 Jan 2014, 15:42

B is March 14th and a few days before she was born it snowed. I remember because as the only driver I was panicking that a taxi wouldn't come out to pick us up if I went into labour! We've never used a sleeping bag so no clue about that but she definitely needed a warm coat and hat for a good few weeks.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Mummyto1 » 05 Jan 2014, 16:23

I had two spring babies born in freezing conditions (one had snow) and an end of December baby. They wore babygrows with feet (also hate baby socks) and cardigans in the house, and then a snowsuit on too for outside (plus hat). For tiny babies I think snowsuits are better than coats as they cover legs and feet too. Outside they were always in the sling, or if not, in a buggy cosytoes so had that added warmth.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Mummyto1 » 05 Jan 2014, 16:28

Also, if you think they are cold in the house it is much easier to add blankets if you are holding them/they are snoozing in bouncy chairs - too many clothing layers get very bulky on teeny ones.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby SharkiesMum » 05 Jan 2014, 16:42

I just remember when DS was a tiny baby (he's April) we had to keep the heating on a few weeks longer than we normally would, and use blankets when out. We didn't use socks either just sleep suits with feet and a jumper over the top if we were going out plus a hat and blankets. It can be very cold in April still.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Kitcameron » 05 Jan 2014, 16:49

G had a snowsuit for outside too which she wore well I to march I think and our heating went on early for her and stayed on late.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby sabrina fair » 05 Jan 2014, 17:27

Our grobags are so old I can barely read the label to work out the tog - if the night feels particularly cold, I put a blanket over him. He's 4.5 months and not wriggling enough to push it off. So I'd suggest just using the 1 tog with an extra muslin or blanket - by the time LO's wriggling it'll be summer.

Btw I love spring babies - monkeyboy was a spring baby, it was lovely :D.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby catkin » 05 Jan 2014, 17:52

Yeah, I was going to say layer the sleeping bag with a blanket or two if it's cold. Particularly if you put baby to bed in the evening when the heating's still on, you can chuck a blanket over later without waking her.
Hamster was fine with babygros (all ours had feet) and vests, another end of Feb baby. Are you slinging? We found we didn't use our snowsuit as she would almost always be toasty inside three layers of moby when out, inside an adult's coat. We had a couple of pairs of baby leg warmers which we could pop over her legs/feet if we thought they were getting cold. Or big brother's wellie socks!
And blanket layers in pram/carseat too as she'd often be brought into the warm still in the pram and it was easier to remove a layer of blankets than a layer of clothes.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby mamapup » 05 Jan 2014, 18:26

Thanks all, really helpful. I'd forgotten that little babygros have feet. I moved the puppy into feet-less ones pretty quickly as he was a summer boy and because we never had trouble with socks on him (he's odd, I know). We have tiny vests but very few babygros as it wasn't cold in June and because I didn't buy teeny tiny ones, not realising 0-3 wouldn't work on an average sized (long but scrawny) newborn so that's a trip to the shops.

I think we'll go with a tuppence and crumble star again - mmmm, they were so delicious and can be opened easily. Mr.C has decided he DOES NOT WANT (caps intentional!) a coat for newbie as he loved the star.

We will probably sling - had a carrime last time and some German pouch thing. The carrime is a bit loose as it was used on toddler nephew before we got it for the puppy but Mr.C (again, sigh) insists it's fine.

Hadn't considered that blankets over a non-wriggling baby would be ok - good point.

Phew. I'm knackered. Didn't really mean for Mr.C to bring all the clothes down from the loft today, just wanted to check the big items weren't mouldy but since they were brought down I've ended up washing and sorting. Our girl is going to be wearing a lot of blue and grey it turns out.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Return to Pregnancy