Baby Stuff - what to reuse or to buy new?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Baby Stuff - what to reuse or to buy new?

Postby CherryPop » 05 Jan 2014, 09:52

I'm trying to remember what we bought this time around, it's funny how quickly the memory fades!

A lot of our stuff was ruined by mould in storage, so we had to chuck out and replace the crib, crib mattress, bouncy chair, and some other things which I can't remember right now ;)

My little ones seem to love their bouncy chairs so that's an essential for me.

I also bought new small cloth nappies because I didn't use cloth from birth with DS.

A new baby monitor because the old one was still in use with DS (and broke shortly after DD was born, so we would have had to have replaced it anyway).

New sponges for the bath, and I sorted out and replaced some of the disgusting old bath toys, but that was when she was old enough to start playing with the toys.

New bumbo because I borrowed one last time around.

Oh and lots of lovely new nursing bras and tops, I waited til I was sure that bfeeding was going to work for us (mostly because I forgot to go and get measured in advance!) and picked up a load in the Jan sales a month or so after DD was born.

I think that's all...
Mama to J born 10.3.09 and BabyPie born 21.11.12
Blogging: http://mynameis-beth.blogspot.com
CherryPop

Postby RJandA » 05 Jan 2014, 10:20

Forgot to say, bouncy chair was essential second time round so if you don't have one already then I would recommend one. I just needed somewhere to put Li'l for a few mins at a time which wasn't just on the floor, where Big wold trip over him, or I the Moses basket, where he couldn't see anyone and would scream his head off.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby FestiveTidings » 05 Jan 2014, 20:17

I've got a bouncy chair and I got brassivimo vouchers for Xmas so I'll wait for a few moths before getting some new bras.

Some great points though.

I'm now wondering what the heck to do about co sleeping on holiday! DH and I are keen to go on holiday this year - nowhere exotic, just the Northumberland Coast. We've seen a little cottage that has a double for baby and me, and singles for DH and Roo. Baby will only be 3/4 months so will still be sleeping with me. Looking at the photo of the room, I don't think the bed can be moved against a wall due to radiators and wardrobes. I'm tempted to buy a cot from Gumtree, get a new mattress and use it as a travel cot - then dismantle/reassemble when we get there. I'll need it for staying at MIL's anyway. Is that going a bit OTT? We have an estate car so travelling with it dismantled isn't a problem.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby cloudcuckoo » 05 Jan 2014, 20:33

What about an actual travel cot? We have a pop up one, which I think are much better than the big 'playpen' style ones. A whole 2nd cot does sound a bit excessive, unless you are at MIL's a lot (but my folks bought a cheap IKEA cot for their grandchildren a while back).

I have been working through the same dilemmas - there is definitely a point, around 6 months, where my girls' clothes won't be much use to their brother, even with the pink avoidance. One thing bugging me - the FSID guidance used to be, I think, to replace the mattress for each child. That's not in their safe sleeping guidelines now - was it an urban myth or have they responded to new research? Reading through the research summaries, it seems as though studies in the last decade have not been conclusive on re-use of mattresses or the chemicals in them, but I can't figure out where I got the idea that I should be buying new each time. Clean and supportive is still there, which makes sense.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby mamapup » 05 Jan 2014, 21:23

Interesting, cc, I'd assumed we.had to buy a new mattress. Think I will keep quiet though as.it's just.a.Moses basket mattress.we.need to get and the one from the loft smells a bit.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Sallie » 05 Jan 2014, 21:42

I think there was some research that identified that in a certain amount of SIDS cases 2nd hand mattresses had been used. It didn't state whether these were hand me downs from an older siblings or borrowed/bought from other families. I don't think it is conclusive whether this is cause and effect or correlation - after all one of the biggest factors in SIDs is poverty and deprivation and surely if you are poor you are less likely to buy a new mattress? We got a new mattress for the bedside crib and I can't decide what to do about cot. My sister suggested buying a new protector rather than matress.
I didn'y clean baby toys... eek!
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby sabrina fair » 05 Jan 2014, 22:25

Ft - why do you need a cot at all? He almost certainly won't ve rolling by then and you'll be with him anyway. You on one side, some cushions on the other, just in case - you'll be fine! If it was only a single I'd suggest a bed guard.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby StJuniper » 06 Jan 2014, 02:18

Sallie wrote:I don't think it is conclusive whether this is cause and effect or correlation - after all one of the biggest factors in SIDs is poverty and deprivation and surely if you are poor you are less likely to buy a new mattress?

Really? I never knew that. It isn't in the literature...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby FestiveTidings » 06 Jan 2014, 07:50

The NHS website does say that ideally a new mattress should be bought for each child but if you can't do that then you need to make sure it's clean, firm and waterproof. I don't know if I should get a new mattress or not now :(

We visit MIL at least once a month, staying over a weekend usually. We had a travel cot then and it wasn't ideal. I would spend most of the night feeding too as he kept waking up - we was used to being next to me in his cot at bed level and the travel cot was so low down it seemed to make a huge difference. My thinking with getting another cot would be it could be sidecarred to the bed just like at home and I would at least get some sleep! :)
FestiveTidings

Postby FestiveTidings » 06 Jan 2014, 07:50

The NHS website does say that ideally a new mattress should be bought for each child but if you can't do that then you need to make sure it's clean, firm and waterproof. I don't know if I should get a new mattress or not now :( its not something we had budgeted for TBH.

We visit MIL at least once a month, staying over a weekend usually. We had a travel cot then and it wasn't ideal. I would spend most of the night feeding too as he kept waking up - we was used to being next to me in his cot at bed level and the travel cot was so low down it seemed to make a huge difference. My thinking with getting another cot would be it could be sidecarred to the bed just like at home and I would at least get some sleep! :)
FestiveTidings

Postby Sallie » 06 Jan 2014, 08:43

StJuniperWreath wrote:
Sallie wrote:I don't think it is conclusive whether this is cause and effect or correlation - after all one of the biggest factors in SIDs is poverty and deprivation and surely if you are poor you are less likely to buy a new mattress?

Really? I never knew that. It isn't in the literature...

well, it does say it in my Penelope Leach Baby and Child book so it must be true(!) There's a few reports I've read that mention it, just did google search and this came up http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/poverty-plays ... spqXPZLmGg as well as a few American studies but I haven't read the original research. Think it was also in that recent one that made all the hoo-ha about co-sleeping.

I don't think it gets much publicity because it isn't a parenting choice but is a political issue and is horribly depressing but again it has issues re cause and effect eg drug/alcohol use being causes of deprivation and being linked to SIDS, quality of housing, smoking, lower rates of breastfeeding and immunisation uptake - all issues linked to SIDS that are also linked to deprivation. So it's a bit of a mess to untangle all that.

Sorry - this isn't really on topic.
Mum to BabyCob, born October 2010 and Babybel, born September 2013
Sallie

Postby cloudcuckoo » 06 Jan 2014, 08:54

Sallie wrote: I don't think it is conclusive whether this is cause and effect or correlation

I think a lot of the guidance is based on statistical links, rather than proven cause and effect. All I can find on mattresses is that there was a line of thought about 10 years ago that flame retardants in mattresses could be linked, but that is a finding from one study which repeated attempts have failed to replicate and so has fallen out of the current analysis. None of which explains why you would need a new mattress for each infant, which is on the NHS site but not the FSID/ Lullaby Trust website.
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby meerkatsmum » 06 Jan 2014, 09:35

StJ, I've never heard it mentioned here. I just had a look at our SIDS website and there's no mention of it. I've only ever heard it on the forum. Maybe it's a UK thing?
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby sabrina fair » 06 Jan 2014, 14:43

FestiveTidings wrote:We visit MIL at least once a month, staying over a weekend usually. We had a travel cot then and it wasn't ideal. I would spend most of the night feeding too as he kept waking up - we was used to being next to me in his cot at bed level and the travel cot was so low down it seemed to make a huge difference. My thinking with getting another cot would be it could be sidecarred to the bed just like at home and I would at least get some sleep! :)

Ah well in that case I agree and would get one. Incidentally we have a nearly new Ikea one we need to sell - it'd need to be couriered which could make it prohibitively expensive, but might be worth investigating? It's a Gulliver one which's currently sidecarred.

And I'd not have bothered.getting a new mattress if mine was good quality and had been kept dryand with a protector. Ours was a cheapy foam one so got replaced.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby busmother » 08 Jan 2014, 10:50

Not ideal if you're doing it often, but if it's just for short breaks, the Littlelife tent-style travel cots we had zip open at the side, so though I never co-slept, when we had bad nights I could lie down on the floor next to them. Seems a shame if there's a lovely double bed for you, but you could put a mattress on the floor next to the travel cot. Just a thought.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy