Baby Stuff - what to reuse or to buy new?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Baby Stuff - what to reuse or to buy new?

Postby FestiveTidings » 04 Jan 2014, 14:07

So the Money Fairies have smiled on me and blessed me with another little boy so YAY, I can reuse all the baby stuff that I had kept for Roo, but I just want to check what I should reuse and what should I get new?

Reuse:
* Pram - its in perfect condition apart from a few scuffs on the wheels
* Infant Car Seat - checked for stress marks on the plastic and there isn't any.
* Stage 1 Car Seat - again, checked for stress marks on the plastic and there isn't any. Covers need a wash though!
* Cot - wooden, sturdy and in good nick
* Cot Matress - Coil sprung not foam. Been stored under my bed wrapped in a sheet. Was going to Air, Hoover, Steam clean and hoover. It has always been waterproof side up so there are no marks in the fabric and it is still firm.
* Bedding - keeping the bedding that has washed well, has no marks and no bobbles.
* Gro Bags (or the John Lewis/Asda equivalent). All in good condition.
* Clothes - we don't have any, I gave it all to my neighbour! However, I do suspect I will be getting a load back so I will also be checking those for stains, loose buttons/studs and pilling.
* Toys - all baby toys will be given the once over and a good steam clean.
* Baby bath. Not sure if I am going to bother with this, might just take him in the bath with me before Roo gets in!

New:
* Bottles/teats? This is the one that is really confusing me. I know this is a strange one since I plan to breastfeed again (even told DH should I not be able to, he was to old LO to me to feed - DH agreed and didn't even bat an eyelid) but I will be expressing again once I go back to work and possibly on the odd occasion while I am on mat leave. I still have all of the bottles I used for Roo when expressing (and a batch of hardly used teats). If they look to be ok and are not discoloured or worn, can they be reused?
* Baby Towels - yes I know I can use normal towels but I love the feel of baby towels. I gave all ours away so I would have to buy new!
* Onsies/Sleepsuits/Vests - again, I would reuse if in good condition and if I had any.
* Muslins - only because again, I don't have any!

What have I missed? I feel a huge chunk is missing and I'm forgetting loads!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Baby Stuff - what to reuse or to buy new?

Postby sabrina fair » 04 Jan 2014, 14:30

Sounds good to me. I haven't bothered cleaning any of the toys :oops: . I'd reuse bottles/teats but I haven't actually got round to expressing or trying bottles so haven't yet put to the test. You may well get given loads of little baby toys anyway. Ditto with clothes, and ui circulate him round the same 4 sleepsuits anyway - he spends so much time in the Moby that I rarely bother with proper clothes as they just get bunched up.

Oo, bundlers from John Lewis - night gowns that make nighttime nappy changes so much easier...I wish I'd known about them first time round!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby mamapup » 04 Jan 2014, 15:18

We are getting new mattress for moses basket, new stand for basket (old one is used.for bath stand now) and a douboe buggy. Oh and an extra.change mat since the puppys is in his room. Otyerwise not really doing anything else new.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby sabrina fair » 04 Jan 2014, 15:36

Oh yes, we didn't bother with the baby bath...he gets bathed once a week if lucky and goes in with monkeyboy - he only needs a quick dunk anyway.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby catkin » 04 Jan 2014, 16:20

Er, it's quite possible to recycle stuff with little girls too you know *confused*.
Ask around your friends for clothes/sleepsuits (are these not the same thing for newborns?), towels and muslins - I bet someone has some in a cupboard they'd loan/give you. Plus you'll probably get given some clothes, specially if you let it be known you haven't kept them.
I have much lower standards with re cleaning and state of stuff, we still reused stuff with a bit of staining or pilling, I don't think hamster noticed :wink:
I'd reuse bottles but not teats I think?
We also didn't bother with a baby bath second time around. They're such a faff to fill and empty.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby mamapup » 04 Jan 2014, 16:25

Why not reuse teats? Am I being dim? I sort of feel that we never really used any since the puppy refused all bottles. And also, he's very young so the teats aren't old! If they look fine, are they fine?

Ps. Our new girl will be wearing most of the puppy's old stuff. We'll get a few new bits just so she's not always in hand me downs but basically she will be!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby babydsmummy » 04 Jan 2014, 16:27

We bought a new mattress - I believe it is recommended as an old mattress is considered a possible risk factor in SIDS. We also bought new bottles and teats but they were well used and the bottles contained BPA. We were given so many new clothes/sleepsuits etc that I hardly used any of D's that I kept, so don't buy too many!
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby StJuniper » 04 Jan 2014, 16:34

I'll be buying a new crib mattress for when R outgrows the cradle. Nothing else. I kept all P's clothes/muslins/etc. I will reuse bottles/teats, not worth buying new for how infrequently I use them. I'll skip the baby bath Tia time, R loves being in the bath with us.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby A_W » 04 Jan 2014, 16:38

I got a new mattress for my pram which lies flat and a new mattress for the crib. Everything else was the same as H including the cot mattress which was as good as new. I bought some new dummies but he never liked them. I did buy a few new sleep suits as they were cute. And my friends handed over lots of second hand stuff they were glad to get rid of.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby catkin » 04 Jan 2014, 17:52

I thought the advice with dummies and teats is to replace after 6 months or something in any case in case the material has degraded. I may have just got that from the packaging though! Never used either much.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby RJandA » 04 Jan 2014, 19:58

I would say new teats definitely, even if you're not sure you'll ever use them. If he rubber degrades here can be tiny cracks which bacteria can collect in. I know I'm more careful about this kind of thing than most but I'm like you... Never really used them much so never got comfortable (complacent?). New bottle brush too.

I also went for new mattress, for crib and cotbed, not for pram though.

New changing mat (Big A's had a huge rip down the side), in fact I got 2 so we could keep 1 downstairs... This was a great move as I didn't have to keep interrupting interaction with Big to change Li'l.

A buggy board? Consumables... Don't forget cotton wool if you use it for newbs in preference to wipes, non-bio washing powder, check if nappy cream and teething stuff is in date (although I don't think out of date sudocrem would kill anyone, just might not work very well).

Some toys don't scrub up so well. We had the Lamaze firefly that everyone loves, I surface washed it and after that it just smelled of mould. Yeuch. Bin. But most toys I didn't really wash (super newborn toys like those floppy comfortor things I did). But mostly Li'l A didn't play with any toys until he was old enough to get them himself.

Also a woven wrap, which I need had with Big A. I make little babies so they take a few weeks before they are the 3.5kg min for a Bjorn or moby.

And some new feeding bras which actually fitted, which frankly I deserved. About 2 months in though.
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby babydsmummy » 04 Jan 2014, 20:26

RJandA wrote:check if nappy cream and teething stuff is in date (although I don't think out of date sudocrem would kill anyone, just might not work very well).

That's a good point! I nearly used Anbesol dated 2009 on J a couple of weeks ago! I wondered where it had come from when I dug it out of the drawer :D
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby StJuniper » 05 Jan 2014, 00:41

RJandA wrote:And some new feeding bras which actually fitted, which frankly I deserved. About 2 months in though.

I'm counting down the days til I treat myself to new Hotmilks.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby meerkatsmum » 05 Jan 2014, 02:47

I bought some new muslins because our old ones are slightly too small for swaddling and this bub is a summer baby.

We bought a new bassinet mattress. Baby will move into cot when M moved out so we'll keep the same one because its been in continuous use.

New pram - it can have one or two seats.

Didn't have a wrap last time so I got one.

Reusing swing but got a light weight bouncer so it's easy to carry around the house (I doubt we'll use the swing - we didn't last time)

Reusing playmat - I'll just wash it

Toys - I washed them about 12 months ago. I just chucked them in the machine and put them in the sun on a hot day. I figured if the rattles etc didn't survive then I'd chuck them.

I chucked my hand pump, bottles, teats and nipple shields. It was too much of a reminder of very dark days. I should have done it earlier. I won't be buying any until the need arises.

We also bought some more gender neutral summery stuff because we had very little. If baby is a boy, we'll need more clothes.

I think that's it
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby mamapup » 05 Jan 2014, 07:48

Just got very confused about your.summer baby, mkm, then remembered where you are!

mamapup

Next

Return to Pregnancy