So, names...

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

So, names...

Postby Spanner » 30 Dec 2013, 21:47

Well Christmas is pretty much over so we have a bit more head space for baby anticipation! We have managed to get a couple of shortlists together but once we add middle names to the mix there is still a lot to decide! Any thoughts?

Boys first names.
Isaac (we are ok with potential Zac nickname in future)
Jonah, surprise front runner this week (I like the dove meaning but also associated with bad luck however if you read the story this is silly!)
Noah (like the way this sounds with current dc names)

Boys middle (first 3 all have family connections)
James
Owen
Louis
Jacob

Girls first names.
Alexandra (not keen on Lexie but like Alex and Sasha as possible nn.Also fits with current dc names)
Robyn (but ds has best, best friend Robin)
Rowan
Elsa (maybe less keen?)

Girls middle, again top 3 have family links

Olivia
Elizabeth
Louisa
Hope

Obviously the middle name choice depends on the first, I wouldn't have Jonah James for example.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Re: So, names...

Postby PolarBearGirl » 30 Dec 2013, 23:05

I like all of those with the exception of Jonah, also I'd be a bit careful with Owen as a second name with some of your first choices (although I like the name...) as it seems a bit clunky - although how often do you use both out loud - only when they're bad :wink:

I know an Alexandra who is known as Alexa which I prefer to Lexie.
A 03/08 & F 02/11 favorite passer by quotes 'isn't he alert' and 'they must keep you busy' ;)
PolarBearGirl

Postby meerkatsmum » 31 Dec 2013, 03:14

We're looking for a boys name too! We have a girls name. It looks like we have very similar taste in boys names (not really for girls though). All those names are on our boys name list. Although DH doesn't like Jonah, so it was more one that I just threw out there.

Question: how would you pronounce Louis? With a silent s? So Louie. Or with the s? Lewis. I don't really like the spelling of Lewis (not sure why, it's quite bizarre really as it's just a "feeling") but then I kind of feel like if you name him Louis then the correct pronounciation is Louie. Thoughts?

I really like Isaac and Zac for short but there's a reason we can't use it. I also like Jacob and James. DH doesn't like Jake for short though (although I do) and there aren't a lot of short names for James (Jim or Jamie).

But as I said, they're all on our list so any of them would be lovely!

Of your girls names, I like Elsa the best. What about Isla? We came across it the other day and thought it was nice.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby elaruu » 31 Dec 2013, 03:19

I like Isaac James the best for a boy.

Of your girls names I love Rowan and Alexandra (with Alex as a nickname). Alexis was top of our list for a girl, and Rowan definitely would've been one of my top choices for a girl if DP had agreed.

Middle names for them I would choose Rowan Olivia or Alexandra Hope (I don't think any of the others really go with Alexandra except maybe Elizabeth but maybe a bit long).

I really like all your choices though. You seem to have very similar taste to me!
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Postby StJuniper » 31 Dec 2013, 03:58

meerkatsmum wrote:Question: how would you pronounce Louis? With a silent s? So Louie. Or with the s? Lewis. I don't really like the spelling of Lewis (not sure why, it's quite bizarre really as it's just a "feeling") but then I kind of feel like if you name him Louis then the correct pronounciation is Louie. Thoughts?

Lewis was on our shortlist for R. I know what you mean about the spelling, I wasn't crazy about it either when I first thought of it (it feels a little hick to me?) but I love that pronounciation and if you used Louis I think everybody would assume Louie. But over time I warmed up to the spelling...

Can I put in a vote for Rowan? I like the strength and mystery in it. Although, what nickname do you use?
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Jelly Belly » 31 Dec 2013, 07:12

StJuniperWreath wrote:Can I put in a vote for Rowan? I like the strength and mystery in it. Although, what nickname do you use?

The Rowan I know gets shortened to a simple 'Ro'
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby Spanner » 31 Dec 2013, 08:38

Isla was our girls choice when we had ds, however since then it has become more popular plus I started to feel that it was quite a scottish name and we have zero scottish heritage! So we went off it a little.

Louis is after dhs grandma who died a short time ago, short for Louisa. It was pronohnced Louie which I prefer. The problem is that this is the best match with Jonah but dh says we can't because of Stop the Calvalry! Mind yo a quick google reveals different spelling.

I think my favourites are Isaac James or Louis but dh would probably pick Jonah.
I feel indecisive about girls but like Robyn a lot just now. Ds' friend is an issue though. His mum and I have been friends since they were babies and the boys are inseperable at school and have weekly playdates. We even camped together in the summer. I should run it by her really as she is a lovely, reasonable person and might not mind at all!
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby mamapup » 31 Dec 2013, 13:55

All lovely names. I really like Jonah a lot.
Isla is quite popular at the moment but it's still pretty.

I'd run it by friend's mum if you want Robyn . She could well be flattered rather than annoyed.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Mummyto1 » 31 Dec 2013, 14:04

I love Jonah. Also Isaac. M's best friend is Louis, also pronounced Louie. It's very sweet - and also regal now that it's one of the prince's names, I guess it might get more common because of that?

For girls I love Elsa - that's what DS2 was going to be if he was a girl. Still (rather madly!) hoping I might get to use it one day!
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 31 Dec 2013, 14:06

meerkatsmum wrote:Question: how would you pronounce Louis? With a silent s? So Louie. Or with the s? Lewis. I don't really like the spelling of Lewis (not sure why, it's quite bizarre really as it's just a "feeling") but then I kind of feel like if you name him Louis then the correct pronounciation is Louie. Thoughts?

Lewis is Scottish, Louis is French. I'd not pronounce the S in Louis.

Rowan was a boy's name in the UK before it was a girl's name so is OK for both, I think I prefer it for a boy but it seems to be being used more for a girl at the moment.

As far as mixing names goes Elsa and Elizabeth come from the same root so don't go with Elsa Elizabeth for a girl.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Kitcameron » 31 Dec 2013, 17:20

Alexandra Elizabeth would give you a great scrabble score, if you had that many letters.

I love Jonah and Noah, dh not so keen though so we probably won't be using those names.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby robyn » 31 Dec 2013, 17:29

ooooh I love Jonah. I'd discount the other boys names on account of knowing alot of los with those names already, but they might not be so popular where you are. Jonah Louis, lovely!

Robyn Louisa is ridiculously close to my name! I hated being Robyn as a kid, I wanted a girly name like my friends had, but now I love it, despite a lifetime spent saying 'Robyn with a y, not an i' and having a christmas card once addressed to Yrobin.......

I love Elsa most though.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 31 Dec 2013, 17:54

Now I like Jonah James!! It's a bit rock and roll!!!

We considered Noah for us but our surname starts with a W so sounded a bit silly (IMO).

Try not to overthink every connotation or meaning of names! At the end of the day, you need to like them, and thats it!!!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby robyn » 31 Dec 2013, 18:04

oooh yes, jonah james would be a cool folky-rock dude. love it.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby doodlesmummy » 31 Dec 2013, 19:52

The rowan I know (a girl) is called rowi, row-ee, v lovely I think.
If you bothered about popularity of names then lewis and isla are becoming v popular recently. I really like Elsa, although v similar to Ailsa....
Boys wise I am not so keen on Jonah, really like Noah and love Isaac (one of my girls was to be an isaac!)
Hth
Doodle's Mummy

its not how much you eat...but how you eat it that counts!
doodlesmummy

Next

Return to Pregnancy