Committing to a name

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Committing to a name

Postby meerkatsmum » 30 Dec 2013, 12:19

Mamapupmas wrote:MKM, are the names too similar to use both?

Yes and no. They both start with the same letter and while they don't rhyme or anything they kind of match in a bad way. It's hard to explain. Basically the not very common nick name (and only really occurs in certain circles) of the boys name is the male version of the girls name. That probably makes zero sense. Although, I must admit that I didn't even realise the nickname was used as an alternative to the full name until about a year ago, and we wouldn't use it.

I just want to pick a name already!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Kitcameron » 30 Dec 2013, 14:13

We have names for Botha. Boy and a girl but they're a bit sot of 'left over' from when G was born. We'd already chosen two girls names but no boys names before we found out she was a girl and we said we'd wait and see which one suited her but also have a boys name just in case lol.

In some ways though i feel a bit mean if Popcorn gets a leftover name, it's like having the second best name, not his/her own name. I still like both names, and the girls name is dhs grandma followed by my mums names. I've decided though I also like Olivia as a first name, which wasn't originally one of our options, and it goes well with my mums name but think Dhs mum would be pissed off if we 'honoured' my mum and not her or her family.

Naming is so hard isn't it. G and I share middle names and if Popcorn is a boy he will share Dhs middle name. Our boys first name is just one we like, as is G's, although G's also means something special to us to.

Hope you get things sorted MP. Good luck.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 30 Dec 2013, 17:50

DD1 we had a boys and girls name very early on. DD2 we still had the same boys name but we had 2 options for girls names, she was named as soon as she was born though, I insisted (I've said many times on here the alternative was Elsa which I do love A LOT but is too similar to DD1's name). DS we had the same boys name but was really unsure about a girls name, I loved Freya but its just too popular at the moment, he would have probably been Frida. My SIL's sister had a little boy 2 months before DS was due and gave him DS's name which gave me a bit of a wobble (I know that sounds really distant but in Orkney we see each other regularly and it means my DNs have 2 cousins the same age with the same name, luckily it's a common Orkney name so doesn't seem too weird to have 2 of them) but we thought sod it, most of the time it doesn't matter and DH and I disagreed about the diminutive of our second choice boys name (Harald, to be called Hal, but DH said everyone would call him Harry).
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby mamapup » 30 Dec 2013, 18:49

AKC, I know what you mean about a 'left over name' but I don't think it's good to look at it that way. It's another name you both really like and that's it.

I think today we're pretty set on the new name. I ran both by my mum and she fell in love with new name. She's always liked old name but her reasons for loving the new name are good. My mum is the most enthusiastic person in the world so let's see if her enthusiasm sticks with us on this one!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Spanner » 30 Dec 2013, 21:04

We are all in a dither this time around! I feel a whole new thread coming on...
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby bigcatmaniac » 02 Jan 2014, 21:03

We're all in a dither too. We have a boys name that we didn't use last time but picking another girls name is sooooo hard. Our second choices last time just don't seem to work - we've gone off them all. Watching with interest ....
bigcatmaniac

Postby mamapup » 02 Jan 2014, 21:06

We have found a new.name despite loving old name.we.decided.it doesn't feel.right some.how. Not.because it was for the puppy but just.not right for this bundle.of energy.
kids should come.with name labels attached.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby meerkatsmum » 02 Jan 2014, 21:16

We've gone back to the boys name we had for M. Different middle name though. Out of the names we had on the list, it just seems to fit best with us, M's name and I can see myself with a little boy with this name. I did break it to DH yesterday though that if baby is a boy, we may not announce his name for a while and it might always be changed. I'm not happy with either scenario but I'd rather that than stick him with a name that doesn't feel right. We're so sure that baby is a girl, he'll probably be a boy just to throw us out! It would mean a whole new wardrobe too!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby pirate_han » 03 Jan 2014, 07:34

B was Belle as soon as we were sure she was a girl. She was never going to be anything else. We decided her official name would be Isabella though, as we wanted her to have the option when she is older, and in case somebody horrid calls her Belle End at school. Nobody calls her Isabella, apart from my Dad initially, who clearly thought Belle was a silly name, but now when he tries to she looks at him in confusion until he says Belle (ha ha ha).

Her middle name was always going to be DH's mum's name, who passed away when he was a teenager, but a few days before she arrived I decided I wanted my sister's name too.

We can't agree on boys names (I love Ted and Arthur and not much else but DH hates them) so if we're lucky enough to have another I hope it's a girl.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby junglewonderland » 03 Jan 2014, 12:34

MP, is the new name the Hebrew name or the Sanskrit name? Or another name altogether? Glad you have some more naming clarity.
Another naming tip- google the full name and check there are no mass murderers with the same name. Koala has one person with his first and surname, an Czech architect born 100 years ago.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Jan 2014, 12:39

Oh I google everything - full name, nicknames, shortened versions and the initials! So far the only things I have found are the name of a Malt, a place in Scotland and a random American who has both names in his family tree but not for the same person!

It is bloody hard though, especially when you want the name to suit them.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Kitcameron » 03 Jan 2014, 15:47

Haha, my cousins name is Benjamin Barker, never clicked with me until i saw Sweeney Todd as we always call him Ben. Wonder if his parents have twigged lol.

Also, his brother called their son Ronnie, poor kid.
Mummy to Slinky Malinky (Sept. 12) and Chunker Munker (June 14.)
Kitcameron

Postby mamapup » 03 Jan 2014, 17:57

Jw, that's a great idea, we didn't think to google.for the puppy but I will for this one, thanks. And gulp in case something awful comes.up for the puppy. I know most people with my name (maiden name) are black strippers for some reason.

We are going Sanskrit, I think. I always wanted Hebrew names for my kids but we haven't found the right one for this kid. So the puppy is my Hebrew boy. And now I really want to know koala 's name!

mamapup

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 03 Jan 2014, 18:02

Mamapupmas wrote:Kids should come.with name labels attached.

Only if you could put back the ones with bad names. Imagine what you would think if you got an Adolf?
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby RachelS » 03 Jan 2014, 19:06

We only had boys names both times. ( didn't know I was having boys)
We had 2 names for ds1 and decided when I saw him he was x the other name ds2 is now called.
Ds1 has DH first name as his middle name (tradition from both sides of family)
Ds2 has a name I liked but couldn't use as a first name as it was too corny with ds1 name.
Aspiring yummy mummy but managing to be a slummy mummy to 2 gorgeous boys.
DS1 11/08/06
DS2 14/09/09
RachelS

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy