Girls names

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Re: Girls names

Postby A_W » 06 Dec 2013, 18:08

I can't get home and away off my mind when I say Elsa. And Abra??? How can you call a girl after an undergarment! Or am I the only one to think of that?

I like Leona, Tess/a, Serena, Sienna and also Esme but that's not an 'a' one. Just thrown in to confuse you.

There's always Hannah which of course is my favourite for obvious reasons...
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby qbm » 06 Dec 2013, 19:02

Noooooooooo A_W! Elsa *was* high on our list but I didn't think of H&A!! Wait, wasn't she Ailsa?
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby FestiveTidings » 06 Dec 2013, 19:26

QuiteBigMincepies wrote:Noooooooooo A_W! Elsa *was* high on our list but I didn't think of H&A!! Wait, wasn't she Ailsa?

Yes she was.

I know it's already been mentioned but our girls name is Isla. Roos girls name was Maya.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby bigcatmaniac » 06 Dec 2013, 19:49

What about:

Anya
Anna
Nia
Mia
Xena (DH had this on his list last time but I said no way)
Fiona
Shona
Emma

We went with Isla first time for our LO and am now struggling to find another girls name that fits. We are trying to avoid another name ending in 'a'. Might have to start another post!

Good luck choosing!

Bigcat
bigcatmaniac

Postby ToothFairy » 06 Dec 2013, 20:52

Louisianablue2000 wrote:
ChristmasTreeFairy wrote:I have patients called Aphra, Teuta and Abra. All pretty unusual!

Aphra is phenomenal, was it after Aphra Behn?

I don't know, but from now I'll pretend that's true :wink:
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby BigFlower » 06 Dec 2013, 20:57

I like Flora, Stella, Anna...

I work with an Alethea which is lovely.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby shye » 06 Dec 2013, 22:54

I've just realised I've never once suggested my own name, which does meet your criteria! I don't know why I didn't even think of it because I do like it.

Although my mum is a terrible speller and it is spelt wrong, but my name is Shirah (should be Shira).
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby qbm » 07 Dec 2013, 09:46

bigcatmaniac wrote:What about:

Anya
Anna
Nia
Mia
Fiona
Shona
Emma

We went with Isla first time for our LO and am now struggling to find another girls name that fits. We are trying to avoid another name ending in 'a'. Might have to start another post!

Good luck choosing!

Bigcat

Can I do a bit of a thread hijack?

How do you pronounce Nia? And where does it come from? One of the names I like is Nyah (pronounced n-EYE-ah). I am hesitant to use it though as I like Gaelic names and it appears to be Swahili (I think) and was used in a Mission Impossible film... I came across it in the school I work and had always assumed it was Gaelic until I did a bit of research recently. If I type in Nyah and Gaelic it does come up on one page as a variant of Nia but I thought Nia was pronounced n-EE-ah.

The girl in question is also in the same class as the girl who first introduced me to E's name so it would feel a bit weird to use it if I didn't have a connection to it iykwim...! :)
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby Nix » 07 Dec 2013, 11:02

A girl at my high school was Nia and it was said (nee-yah) like Mia.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby StJuniper » 07 Dec 2013, 12:37

I have a cousin called Naya (like Maya). I think it's Indian...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby weasley » 07 Dec 2013, 21:24

QuiteBigMincepies wrote:
bigcatmaniac wrote:What about:

Anya
Anna
Nia
Mia
Fiona
Shona
Emma

Good luck choosing!

Bigcat

Can I do a bit of a thread hijack?

How do you pronounce Nia? And where does it come from? One of the names I like is Nyah (pronounced n-EYE-ah). I am hesitant to use it though as I like Gaelic names and it appears to be Swahili (I think) and was used in a Mission Impossible film... I came across it in the school I work and had always assumed it was Gaelic until I did a bit of research recently. If I type in Nyah and Gaelic it does come up on one page as a variant of Nia but I thought Nia was pronounced n-EE-ah.

The girl in question is also in the same class as the girl who first introduced me to E's name so it would feel a bit weird to use it if I didn't have a connection to it iykwim...! :)

The meaning of the name Nia is Bright

The origin of the name Nia is Welsh

Notes: Welsh form of Niamh. Also a short form of names ending in nia. Also a Swahili name meaning "Purpose" Nia Vardalos, writer/actress. Nia Peeples, actress. Nia Long, actress

It was also on my list for Ducky. It should be pronounced with a proper 'ah' at the end rather than 'uh' - Nee-ah. Love it!
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby qbm » 08 Dec 2013, 10:53

Thanks all! I think I'd read it was short for Antonia as well. Maybe this mum just made up her daughter's name ;) I like it but not sure I will use it after all - I'd need a better reason than, "Some random child at school was called it"!!

<Hands thread back>
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Previous

Return to Pregnancy