Page 2 of 2

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 22:26
by junglewonderland

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 22:33
by Spanner
I am having to make a similar decision between vba2c or a third section. Initially I feltquite strongly that I wanted a vba2c and read up in it as I thought the hospital would not be in favour. As it happens my consultant is fine with it and has spent lots of time talking through the pros and cons, she is really excellent imo, informative but not pressurising at all. Can you talk to a doctor in a similar way? My fear is that the vbac might fail again and a planned section is lower risk than an emergency one, especially as mine might be slightly complicated by having 2 sections previously. I don't have to decide till 34 weeks though and can always change my mind. The only definite is that they won't induce me so I will have a section date for around 41 to 42 weeks in case labour doesn't start..

Last time around, I agree they were quite pro vbac as I was otherwise low risk (first section also due to breech).

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 23:10
by issi

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 01:08
by FestiveTidings
I was monitored too, but they couldn't get a proper fix on Roo so I had to be monitored internally with a sensor on his head and wired up to a machine. I was confined to the hospital bed as the wires weren't long enough for me to move. So I basically spent 6 hours contracting curled up in a little ball on the bed until they decided roo was in distress and whipped him out.

I didn't have a very good experience first time round and I am frightened that it will go wrong again, hence the appeal of an elective section.

Having had my watery birth plan thwarted once, I'm a bit concerned about it happening again!

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 09:17
by Rosie_t_Riveter
I totally agree with KateWhateverTheRestIs that you need to be happy with the birth you choose. One of the brilliant things about the NHS (IMHO) is that they support women whatever their choices. For example, I chose a homebirth and my colleague chose a CBAC. We both felt 100% supported by the healthcare teams caring for us, which is exactly how it should be.

It sounds like you're worried about the levels of monitoring you would have, go in to speak to the HCPs with a list of your concerns and see what they say. If you're not happy then you can go for an elective CBAC and you can also have a list of points at which you would like to decide whether you want a VBAC or CBAC. My NCT teacher was very keen on waiting for labour to start normally even if a C-Section is required. Something about the baby having "warning" that something is happening, so that might be worth investigating too. Would that be an elective "emergency" CBAC?!

Anyway, I'm waffling now so I'll shut up, good luck with your decision making!

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 10:23
by RJandA

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 10:36
by Lily

Re: VBAC or CBAC

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 22:45
by mamapup
Life is super hectic right now but will be back to digest and think. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and for sharing personal experiences.