I did it!! -ETA gory details ;)

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

I did it!! -ETA gory details ;)

Postby DandelionFrosting » 03 Dec 2013, 20:21

Maya Ikeda was born at 2 AM today, after about 4 hours of labor. She weighs 3500 grams and was, as promised, the wrong way around. But it was okay! She promptly foiled everyone´s attempts to take pictures by grabbing the nearest boob and refusing to let go of it for two hours. (Luckily it was mine.)

More gory details when I'm coherent again.

I'm not pregnant anymore! Wheee!

Okay, so. Gory details! Not THAT gory, really. Well, some of them are, I guess, but that comes with having babies. Anyway!

I was feeling huge and miserable and sorry for myself, sure I'd be pregnant for the rest of my life. I'd been having achey little fake contractions for days and nothing seemed to be going anywhere. We'd all had dinner and a bath and put Saurus to bed, and I was sitting on the couch being gigantic, drinking milk, and trying badly to translate Japanese TV for my mom.

The first few real contractions just felt like more of those fake ones that had been going on forever, so I ignored them. But they got more painful pretty fast, and suspiciously close together. I started secretly timing them, and they were about five minutes apart. With Saurus I'd had false labor twice and the real thing didn't start until after my water broke, so I still didn't quite trust it, but I told my mom and DH and then continued sitting there feeling vaguely embarrassed while they stared at me being all worried and solicitous and asking if I was having another contraction every time I glanced at my watch. After about half an hour of the contractions not going away, I finally broke down and called the clinic, and they told me to come in. So we did. DH's mother had volunteered to watch Saurus (my mom, as official emergency blood donor, got a free excuse to come along with), but she decided she wanted to come too, so at the last minute DH's sister ended up coming over on her motorcycle to sleep next to Saurus. We packed into the car, collected mother #2, and all trooped up the back stairs into the clinic.

The mothers got left out in the lobby to stare at each other awkwardly, and I got put into an embarrassing gown and installed in a bed with a monitor belted across my stomach. Because the baby was breech, they wanted to leave the monitor on for at least an hour and a half. They were afraid of labor not progressing, or of the baby's heart rate dropping during contractions. Also of the baby deciding to drop her feet at the last minute; she'd been a perfect frank breech up until the last few weeks, when she'd suddenly developed a habit of stuffing her feet down at random intervals and making my legs go numb.

So DH and I sat there for about an hour, and the contractions got a bit more painful, but they were still at about five minute intervals, and I was starting to get worried that meant Not Progressing, or possibly even false labor again and we'd all have to go home. Then all of a sudden in the middle of one I suddenly started wanting to push. I pushed the button to call the midwife, and she didn't seem unduly concerned about it. She asked me if I had to pee, and I said yes because I'd get to take the monitor off. Moving around actually made the contractions hurt worse, but I went off to the bathroom anyway. But somehow attempting to pee, I couldn't quite figure out what muscles were what, and instead I accidentally gave a huge push. There was a gigantic SPLAT! Of course it was only my water breaking, but for a second I was convinced that the entire baby had fallen out. DH and the midwife heard me yell and came rushing in to find me staring stupidly into the toilet searching for a baby.

After that I just couldn't stop pushing. Walking across the hall to the delivery room, climbing up on the bed, every time I stopped concentrating I'd start pushing and not be able to stop. The doctor came running in and everyone kept trying to make me wait and breathe while they inserted the IV and set up the bed and I think gave me a shot of local anaesthetic for an epesiotomy, and I just couldn't stop at all. When they finally said it was okay, it only took three deliberate pushes, all in a row, and there was a kind of double pop (body, then head), and she was out! There wasn't even a second of dangling with her head trapped or anything. DH said it looked like she kicked her way out. Her legs flew down (in the end it turned out she was sitting cross-legged) and she just shot out after. Poor Doctor Yuri had spots all over her lab coat and on her glasses.

Baby Maya got to lie on my chest while they clamped and cut the cord (they waited until she wasn't purple anymore to clamp it - yay!). Then the curious grandmothers got let in and, in the midst of everyone taking pictures, Maya found a breast all by herself and helped herself to a two-hour snack!

It turned out that her umbilical cord was a bit short, and that's why she couldn't get upside-down. Now I feel bad about picking on her with frozen fruit and moxibustion and loud music and everything. But it seems she's forgiven me. She's perfect, cuddly, feeding wonderfully, with blue eyes and fuzzy little black hair. A bit too nocturnal for my liking at the moment, but oh well. I can't wait to take her home! (But not so much that I'm not going to enjoy my cushy week in the hospital with breastfeeding counseling, all kinds of support, a facial, and cake every day at three. I love Japan . . . .)
Last edited by DandelionFrosting on 06 Dec 2013, 04:12, edited 2 times in total.
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Re: I did it!!

Postby PerpetualMadness » 03 Dec 2013, 20:22

Congratulations! :-)
PerpetualMadness

Postby catkin » 03 Dec 2013, 20:23

Congratulations!
And awesome announcement, you sound over the moon :)
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby mamapup » 03 Dec 2013, 20:23

Yay, congratulations and wow, well done on getting a wrong-way round baby out!
One Dec person down...
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Lioncub's mama » 03 Dec 2013, 20:23

WOW! Congratulations! First december baby out! So pleased that it went well, and well done getting her out the wrong way up (and so quickly)!!!
I love her name!
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby MumtoMonsters » 03 Dec 2013, 20:27

Oh, that's wonderful news! :bsmile
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby ToothFairy » 03 Dec 2013, 20:29

WooHoo!!!

Massive congratulations DF :bsmile :bsmile :bsmile
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Lily » 03 Dec 2013, 20:30

Fantastic! Welcome little girl!
Last edited by Lily on 03 Dec 2013, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby KateGladTidings » 03 Dec 2013, 20:31

wooooo! congrats :D
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby Nix » 03 Dec 2013, 20:32

Congratulations! Wonderful news!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby gingerbreadhouse » 03 Dec 2013, 20:36

Fantastic news, well done!!!!
Mum to two gorgeous girls and one bouncing baby boy.
gingerbreadhouse

Postby robyn » 03 Dec 2013, 20:43

Congratulations! It's wonderful not being pregnant isn't it?!
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 03 Dec 2013, 20:45

Congratulations! And well done! And totally what Robyn said re not being pregnant!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby qbm » 03 Dec 2013, 20:51

Fantastic!! :D Congratulations xxx
E - Aug 11
M - Feb 14
qbm

Postby shye » 03 Dec 2013, 20:59

Squeeeeee! :bsmile :bsmile
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye