I had my anomaly scan today at 20 weeks and the nuchal fold measured as thicker than normal, increasing the risk of Down's Syndrome. My Nuchal Translucency scan and 13 week blood test came back as a low risk 1:100,000. They couldn't tell me what my 'new' risk was.
I've been offered an amnio but we have yet to make a decision as to what to do. DH has said that he can't cope with going through the rest of the pregnancy not knowing and is keen to have the amnio. He has also said that if the result showed that the baby has DS his gut feeling is that he would want to terminate the pregnancy.
Personally, my emotions are all over the place. I really don't know if I could handle taking care of a child and adult with DS. We also have our son to think about. The thought of his life being turned upside down and him missing out upsets me more than the thought of our own lives being turned upside down. Equally, I really don't know whether or not I could terminate a pregnancy, especially at such a late stage. I know I'd be devastated and would struggle to live with myself. If I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy it seems unfair to the baby to risk a miscarriage, although it may be good to prepare ourselves. If the amnio resulted in miscarrying a healthy baby I would be equally as devastated and, again, would have to live with myself.
Don't really know what I'm asking TBH but hearing some others experiences would be good. Feel free to pm me as I really feel that I need the support right now.