Essential oils

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Essential oils

Postby Kanga » 04 Dec 2011, 18:04

Am I ok to use stuff with essential oils in? For example I made some bath bombs and we have some scented massage oil? Got really sore neck/shoulders/back and wondering if I can persuade dh to give me a back massage while I can still lie on my front!! ;)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Re: Essential oils

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 04 Dec 2011, 18:20

Some can be used and some can't, but I don't know which, sorry! You definitely need to be careful with them though. My old masseuse used to make a point of confirming she was using oil that was safe for pregnancy, and checked whether I was BFing before starting a massage last time around.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 04 Dec 2011, 18:41

Yes, although some are not recommended in pregnancy. Your best bet is to go into a shop that sells oils and ask.... most make a pregnancy concoction that you can use to your hearts content. :-)

I know that lavender, ylang ylang & citrus are ok, but not about others specifically. Best to just check it out first. There are lots of sites online that have lists of yes and no.... although some of them do seem to contradict one another....
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.
3KiwiChicks

Postby ToothFairy » 04 Dec 2011, 20:15

Vanilla Pickle is an aromatherapist, I'm sure she'll be able to tell you which ones are OK.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby VanillaPickle » 04 Dec 2011, 23:09

Sorry only just seen this (unputdownable baby tonight and a 3 year old who apparently doesn't need sleep)....

The following essential oils are considered 'safe' during pregnancy:-

Atlas Cedarwood
Bergamot - photosensitive so don't sit in the sun after using on your skin
Cardamon
Cubeb - spicy/peppery
Cypress
Eucalyptus - go easy on this one, it's strong
Frankincense - other worldly, beautiful, comforting - very spiritual
Geranium - strong so you only need 1 maybe 2 drops otherwise it is overpowering
German Chamomile
Ginger - can help with morning sickness
Grapefruit -
Immortelle
Lavender
Lemon - photosensitive, don't sit in the sun after use on the skin
Mandarin
Marjoram
Neroli - expensive but fabulous for 'panic' really helps to calm and wonderful during labour
Palmarosa
Patchouli
Roman Chamomile
Rose Otto - expensive but lovely
Rosewood ) both these oils have 'ethical' issues being wood oils
Sandalwood )
Sweet Orange - lovely
Vetiver - very musty smelling, which I love, and a powerful sedative
Yarrow - very blue!!
Ylang Ylang - very heady, if used in great quantities might give you headaches
Coriander
Deodar Cedarwood
Petitgrain (orange leaf)

Hope this helps. Essential oils should only be used at a 1% concentration when pregnant, your skin will be extra sensitive as will your nose! As long as you don't go overboard you will be fine.
♥ Handmade & crochet items & gifts - CraftsByFenella ♥
★ currently available via https://www.facebook.com/CraftsByFenella
VanillaPickle

Postby BLTMama » 04 Dec 2011, 23:13

VP, what about rose (ruh gulab)? I use it as perfume and it just occurred to me maybe I shouldn't be as I'm breastfeeding. Eek!

And I hope you get some sleep...
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Kanga » 05 Dec 2011, 09:27

Thank you so much VP, that is a real help :) As it happens I realised I've packed the massage oil in the moving house mayhem so can't use it just now anyway! But the bath bombs I made are geranium, bergamot and vetiver so that will be fine :D

Hope you got some sleep VP.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby vanessahammond » 18 Nov 2015, 07:38

To be sure, you should ask brick and mortar as well as online shops on what essential oils are safe for pregnant women. Shops like Healing Solutions have a selection of essential oils along with their benefits, so you'll find it easier to choose which one to buy.
vanessahammond

Return to Pregnancy