Parvovirus (slapped cheek/fifth)...?

More little BLWers in the making... <rubs hands>

Parvovirus (slapped cheek/fifth)...?

Postby SparklePetal » 23 Mar 2011, 19:00

Still waiting for call back from MW on this, so coming to see what your collective brain has to say about it!

Sister phoned me from her GP today to say niece has parvovirus and we saw her during the incubation period ten days ago. Sister is pg too and had just had blood tests done and her GP said I must get down to my GP and have them too as it was 'of more concern' at my earlier stage of pg.

From what I've read in my pg books about 60% of adults are immune. I could have caught it from niece and have no symptoms. If I have caught it it is 'serious' for my baby, but 'very unlikely' to be transmitted.

Anyone had it as an adult and had the red cheeks or different symptoms? I've been ill with D&V this weekend and Snow White has been ill with sore throat and sniffles... no red cheeks anywhere though...

Anyone encountered it during pg? I would have thought it's common enough in toddlers to be difficult for mums who already have a child to avoid exposure.

Anyway, I'm not worried particularly, more curious as to what they'll do about it! And wish I had a number for my MW that wasn't the one on the fron tof the notes which actually goes through to the Day Assessment Unit at the hospital...
Mum to DD Snow White (30/11/08) and DS Bluebird (13/09/11)
<><
http://sparklepetal.wordpress.com
SparklePetal

Re: Parvovirus (slapped cheek/fifth)...?

Postby PerpetualMadness » 23 Mar 2011, 19:22

They'll do blood tests. Two. One now to check your immunity and one in 3 weeks. If you're not immune but show re ent exposure, they probably do more scans. I read up when I was exposed but that was later in pgcy. I wasn't immune but didn't catch it either.
PerpetualMadness

Postby SparklePetal » 23 Mar 2011, 19:38

OK, thanks, that's interesting.
<><
SparklePetal

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 23 Mar 2011, 19:56

I was exposed when PG so spoke to my MW and she spoke to the blood people at the hospital who dug out my pg bloods and tested them for antibodies to it. I had them so that was that. Have you had any bloods done yet?
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby SparklePetal » 23 Mar 2011, 20:00

Ooo, didn't know they could do that. Do they actually store the samples they take? I assumed they chucked them! I did have some bloods done. Still need to speak to someone who will actually be helpful / get through to my MW. Grrr. Well, I can't so anything about that till tomorrow now anyway.
<><
SparklePetal

Postby SparklePetal » 08 Apr 2011, 18:32

Finally got the all-clear on this today :D

I now feel like the Parvovirus expert, with all the information my sister has been passing on to me. She had recent exposure antibodies in her blood test, and no immunity in her booking bloods, so was sent for a scan yesterday. Baby all fine, the right way round and now we just want him/her out to play with :D My bloods came back as having had previous exposure some time ago and therefore being immune before getting pregnant. Apparently, although it's such a contagious disease, there's only a 50% likelihood of people passing it on within the same household, so quite feasible for me to have had it in childhood but not my sister. And while a toddler is 90% likely to present with red cheeks, an adult almost certainly won't, so you can have it and just think 'I've got a virus' (my sister had a temperature, felt sick and had swollen ankles and knees with hers!) An adult of child-bearing age is 60% likely to be immune, but an elderly person is 80% likely, so we obviously mostly go on to catch it at some point in life even if not as toddlers.
<><
SparklePetal

Postby skip » 08 Apr 2011, 18:49

Oh yay, so glad all is ok!
skip

Postby SparklePetal » 08 Apr 2011, 19:23

A good day for getting reassuring results!
<><
SparklePetal

Postby SparklePetal » 10 Dec 2013, 16:33

Well, fast forward a few years and I think Snow White now actually has slapped cheek, so I came back to remember what I found out before! She has been ill with a temperature and aches for a few days, then started itching desperately. Today she is much more perky and like herself again, but with red cheeks and a very faint sort of almost-rash on her tummy. She would have been contagious when in school last week, so I suppose I should tell them in case any staff member is secretly pregnant. Reassured by my previous stat. that there is only a 50% chance of family members catching it - not inevitable that Bluebird will be ill then! (Not good timing with DH away again, special Christmassy stuff ramping up etc!)
<><
SparklePetal

Return to Pregnancy