Drunken rant in the kitchen anyone?

Don't panic, it's not tonight. Every so often we arrange to meet up online and talk rubbish. Not so different from the day-to-day, but with more people. Yes, it sounds naff, but just you wait... it's also oddly satisfying.

Re: Drunken rant in the kitchen anyone?

Postby blackberrycrimble » 14 Sep 2010, 20:33

Good rant, Allie. I totally agree.
My peas are gone as well as my marbles.
blackberrycrimble

Postby sparkling » 14 Sep 2010, 20:38

So true Allie - we were at an Indian restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Jiglet was great through most of the meal, towards the end she got fed up of being in the high chair, so DH took her outside for a bit of a wander. The waiter came and told me what a good husband I had for doing it- yes, he's lovely and it was nice that I could finish my food while he dealt with her BUT I bet the waiter wouldn't even have noticed if it had been me dealing with the baby.
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 14 Sep 2010, 20:40

Thanks DP. I know it's easier but I thought I was going to get support (was promised it every day when we were back in hospital but it never arrived :( ) I'll know better next time...

I agree Allie, well said.

Re: The Cuts. I heard an interesting article on the radio which said that there is a big volunteering thing in Scandanavia (i.e. more of the population volunteer) but they're never asked to organise anything, so there is less responsibility than volunteering here. And they pay higher taxes and the volunteering isn't instead of state intervention, it's as well as it. Sounds like the Big Society needs bigger funding...
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Heidi » 14 Sep 2010, 20:41

I need to rant about HSBC/fraudsters.
I was trying to use my card to spend some money on t'internet yesterday but it was declined. The bank rung me and told me they had cancelled my card as it had been cloned. So they checked all of the recent transactions, sure enough, all my shopping :oops: So they cancelled the card anyway. And I've got no cash, and no petrol to get to town to the branch to get cash.
And I need to get the kids to nursery tomorrow, pay for my car to be serviced (£340 but that's a whole other rant!!!!), get to the hairdressers, then the dentist then pick up the kids and return the courtesy car to the garage. All without a debit card. And I have no credit cards to use instead. AAAAARGHHHHHH
But I guess I should be grateful that HSBC stopped them before they spent a fortune.
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby shye » 14 Sep 2010, 20:42

No kidding Allie. That just encourages behaviour of them 'babysitting' their own kids... as if it's a favour to us that they take part in parenting???
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby Disco » 14 Sep 2010, 20:45

rtr - if the help doesn't arrive next time come to me:) I'm training to be a BFing peer support worker soon.... volunteer that is... before there were cuts we would've got childcare paid for... now nothing :(
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Postby sparkling » 14 Sep 2010, 20:46

rosie_t_riveter wrote:Thanks DP. I know it's easier but I thought I was going to get support (was promised it every day when we were back in hospital but it never arrived :( ) I'll know better next time...

Not much help now, but maybe next time... Round us there's a brilliant team of BF support workers in sure start centres and stuff, but MWs & HVs don't seem to refer anybody to them. I found out when I went to investigate groups at our local centre and found them great, but would have been stuck if I'd just relied on HV clinic or GP.

Of course, they're probably another prime candidate for cuts....
Jiglet, Mar'09 & Bell, Jan'12
sparkling

Postby PerpetualMadness » 14 Sep 2010, 20:50

rosie_t_riveter wrote:My HV is actually ok, but can I have a brief rant about how (IME) the NHS totally fails to support BFing, but can produce a leaflet going on about how Breast is Best just to make all us failed BF-ers feel even more guilty.

I hadn't experienced this last time around because p cottoned on so quickly but the consultant in the nicu was so desperate to top b up with formula 'in case my milk didn't come in fast enough' despite professing to be pro- bfing. If I'd been a first time mum or one who had had trouble first time around, then she could easily have stuffed up my milk coming in by feeding b formula so he didn't need to feed from me.
Pumpkin's Mama xx

Pumpkin is 7, Butternut is 3. :-)
PerpetualMadness

Postby bimbambalooms » 14 Sep 2010, 20:50

Totally agree Allie,

I did have nothing to rant about but having just had a conversation with DP I now do!

I said I need to know when he could take time off work so we could go and see some schools. Apparently he can't take any time off as he is under pressure to deliver some pipeline. Oh well then f*ck your child's education, don;t take any interest and leave it all up to your partner who also happens to be 38 weeks pregnant! Why do I always have to be the major decision maker when it comes to children's stuff. Can he not even be bothered to take an interest, he's barely looked at the Ofsted reports and prospectus (what is the plural of prospectus by the way?)
Mummy to
Snufflebum, a gorgeous FIVE year old!
Snugglechops, has just turned TWO!
bimbambalooms

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 14 Sep 2010, 20:53

Heidi - HSBC did similar to me. I was due a new credit card, so went into the branch 'cos they wouldn't post it to me (?) and the guy took away my old card to destroy it, but my new card wasn't valid for another month and a half! In that time I had to pay for car insurance, tax and an MOT! They did naf all about it and in the end I got a new card with another company (who would post it to my address!) and I just cut up the HSBC card. I told them they were rubbish, too.

Thanks DP and Sapling. I keep telling myself that I'll know different next time, but that I shouldn't put too much pressure on myself. I just know that next time I'll be a bundle of nerves, although at least I'll know what not to do and will have the lovely peeps on this forum to help out :D First the easy bit; find a job, get preggers, survive 9 months and then it's game on! Easy :bsmile
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby ToothFairy » 14 Sep 2010, 21:23

Can I join in?

Pumpkin'sMama wrote:
rosie_t_riveter wrote:My HV is actually ok, but can I have a brief rant about how (IME) the NHS totally fails to support BFing, but can produce a leaflet going on about how Breast is Best just to make all us failed BF-ers feel even more guilty.

I hadn't experienced this last time around because p cottoned on so quickly but the consultant in the nicu was so desperate to top b up with formula 'in case my milk didn't come in fast enough' despite professing to be pro- bfing. If I'd been a first time mum or one who had had trouble first time around, then she could easily have stuffed up my milk coming in by feeding b formula so he didn't need to feed from me.

Or how about weighing on day 3 when my milk wasn't in yet, and sending us to hospital because Elsie had lost 11.5% of her birthweight. Pointless, as my milk came in later that day and she put on 100g in one day! Thank goodness that by number three I know full well I can BF without topping up!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Piegea » 15 Sep 2010, 01:46

1 prospectus, 2 prospecticles
DD, R - Jan 08
DS, E - Jun 10
Piegea

Postby KatGoldLIN » 15 Sep 2010, 08:44

shirah wrote:
katgold wrote:- why does dp think it's ok to sleep on the sofa every night to get out of night wakings?

Oh no! I was totally planning on using the fact that your DP gets up with E whilst you deal with G as my plan!!!

that used to be the situation. But now he is "too tired". I am trying not to sneak downstairs and smother him in his sleep.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Previous

Return to Puddleduck's Party Forum