creating a FB page...

All you Baby-Led Weaning diarists, please discuss the ins and outs of the available blogging software, hardware, tupperware etc right here.

creating a FB page...

Postby KatGoldLIN » 08 Oct 2011, 18:19

do I want one? Will I only feel inadequate? Will it help keep bloggy folks out of my personal FB? Will I just annoy myself and others even more with more social media?

Also, any tips on how to start one? Do I start a page or create a new account?
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Re: creating a FB page...

Postby Morlyte » 08 Oct 2011, 18:30

I think I would create a new account, then tell us what it is called and get it circulated.

I think they work well, especially if you want to make people aware of when new orders are being taken. You could just have a page of photos of your stuff, an album for customer photos and info page linking to your Folksy page.

By creating a new account you are saving your own FB page from customer questions about orders, etc.
Mamma to Joe (Jun 07) and Noah (Jan 11).
www.lunchboxdinners.blogspot.co.uk
Morlyte

Postby Pics » 08 Oct 2011, 18:41

You cannot start a completely new account under facebook rules. So you create a buisness account off your personal page - it is not linked publicly to you at all so people viewing it will not see any of your information.

People do set up different business acounts with different e-mails addresses etc but you can get chucked off ofr it. I am a goodie two shoes too.
Mummy to two scrumptious BLW girls, who like to rebel and ask for spoonfeeding every once in while (2007 and 2010), and another who'll be occupying the Ikea highchair from March.

http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby skip » 08 Oct 2011, 18:42

You don't need to start a whole new account - the page won't link back to your personal profile unless you set your admin status 'live' and viewable. But you do need a personal account to start a page so it's easiest to use the one you have now. You can also set up a storefront using free apps so people can buy straight off the FB page. And an impartial review section, galleries etc etc...

Go for it. It's a nice way to circulate your stuff - every time one of us 'likes' a pic or a post of yours (which we'll clearly do ALL the time ;) ) it'll show up in our news stream so all our friends can see it too - that doesn't necessarily happen with a personal profile. Plus then you can add a FB button to your folksy/etsy shop and your blog and so on.

If you want any help just PM me.
Mama to the marvellous M (July '08) and R-bear (Oct '11)
skip

Postby robyn » 08 Oct 2011, 18:46

I'd do it, it's vvv simple, and when I put stuff on my fb page te views in my shops shoot up, so it obviously works.

It does lead to me getting paranoid when my number of 'likers' goes down though, I feel as though I've annoyed somebody somewhere.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby AB&M » 08 Oct 2011, 18:58

Do it. I have one for my photo blog and don't really do much with it but it chugs along. You can "use" FB as if you were the name of your page like Aitch does with BLW.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby ches » 08 Oct 2011, 19:22

My cousin has one for her knitting business. She knits exclusively for baby photographers -- you can charge twice as much when you call it a "photo prop" than for the general public. You end up with people self-promoting on your page, but as it's not your personal one I suppose it comes with the territory. According to my cousin (who has 3,000 likes now), the new in thing to do is to auction stuff off on your fb page. You post the item, give a deadline, and people post their bid on your wall (so a not-so-silent auction if you will). She did one on a Friday which was a disaster (nobody fbs on a Friday night, apparently) but has been more successful (stuff going for more than in her shop) and she only auctions off stuff that's ready-to-ship. It's a good way to dispose of stuff that's not moving or stash stuff.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby KatGoldLIN » 08 Oct 2011, 20:00

thanks all. I guess I was thinking more for the blog than for hats, tbh. I am actually thinking of closing the folksy shop and just using etsy because I want to concentrate my efforts.

The motivation comes from people who read my blog using my email address to become friends on FB. Some people are cool. Some people are stalkers. Seems like it would be a good idea to separate people out.

And Ches - I wish I could sell hats to photogs. NB hats would be ideal, as they are so small and CUTE (I love cute), but there isn't a huge market for NB photo shoots.
Kat
Mum to E 02/04/2007, G 26/03/2010 and T 30/03/2011
KatGoldLIN

Postby bimbambalooms » 08 Oct 2011, 20:57

Going off topic but our local photo studio do a "cherub" shoot. 3 photo sessions, one NB, one when sitting, one when walking. Each one would be great with a "KatHat". They can't be the only photography studio to do this so it might be worth looking into .... Mind you, you take damn good photos yourself so there's another business for you! If you keep having babies you'll not run out of models for a while ;)
Mummy to
Snufflebum, a gorgeous FIVE year old!
Snugglechops, has just turned TWO!
bimbambalooms

Postby Badgerwife » 24 Jan 2012, 13:08

I did one a while back, it's supposedly helpful, though I've not seen any fruit yet. It's a good way to publicise your blog posts and remain anonymous!

I found this article helpful: http://www.iamtypecast.com/2012/01/crea ... -page.html

Mine is here; if you like me using your page profile, I'll be very likely to like you back www.facebook.com/afrogatlarge
Mum to Little Girl born 23.07.11 and to Luciole 23.06.13
I blog at http://afrogatlarge.wordpress.com/
Badgerwife

Return to BLW Bloggers